Sign in to follow this  
"Manic-Mechanic"

K 482-Possible Seal Leak?

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I replaced the transmission pump and cleaned up the engine in the process. I didn't see any problematic areas on the block aside from the valve cover gaskets. Now that everything was back together there was a small leak from the oil drain pipe. I re-fit and sealed that. Several days passed and now there is a small drop of oil hanging on the bottom engine shroud, flywheel side. The oil dripped onto the PTO shaft and then gathers and drops mid-frame! I will keep cleaning the PTO shaft and am hoping it is residual from the gathered oil under the block?

Any thoughts should this be ongoing? Perhaps the engine seal behind the flywheel? I bet that's the culprit! I have everything cleaned now, so taking apart the front end and getting to the engine to move it, is no big deal. I wonder if I should use lock-tite on the spline whenever I join the two back together after replacing the seal? (engine and pump) I seen the old manual states molly grease.Then also seen the maintenance advisory (1978) concerning the lock-tite on the spline with the splined washer install. (good luck finding the splined washer)........

IMG_2140.JPG

Sarge

I've got a leak after test firing the 482 yesterday - seems to be one of the aluminum pump housing bolts on mine - maybe someone had been into my pump to inspect or rebuild it ...who knows ?

I need to look into the breather system on these big K's - the pto end bearing plate has been weeping just a slight bit of oil as well as some out of the dip stick tube , starting to wonder if the engine is pressurizing the crank case a little ...?

Sarge

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Pump housing? Oil Pump?  Perhaps having the whole machine running really well and quiet too, is sufficient.......

Edited by Oldman

pfrederi

Are you talking about 2 different leaks...one from the hydro pump and one from the engine???

• Thanks 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Sarge has a leak in a pump, I think. I may have one in the engine.

Sarge

After deeper inspection - it's not the pump leaking and all the fasteners , plugs , ect are clean and tight . The oil is coming from the flywheel side of the engine and being sprayed all over by the flywheel's cooling fins . Pulling the breather off after while - see if it's clogged or broken - appears by the manual to be a simple pcv valve such as used in automotive systems . I suspect that could be your problem as well - will try to get pics and more info on it ...

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Sarge

Here is the suspect breather valve - it sits on top of the governor on the K-482/523 engines .

59da22147d99c_20171007_1040201.jpg.7e7084f1bad6d6781e037869eb2a6dbb.jpg

Not sure about the machined recess against the sealing area of the gasket - it allows air back towards the crankcase which is not what this valve should be doing in my opinion - just not sure of it's purpose . Might just be a sort of pressure relief . The valve relies on the engine's vacuum through the carb at a certain level as well as the cylinder pulses to create a slight vacuum . I did find some carbon/dirt in this one , but not much and the valve seems to operate just fine . The part number is retired by Kohler from research but the odd sized U-shaped 9/16" hose is available for around $23 from some of the vendors .

Here's the business side of the valve - note the recess machined into the gasket sealing area -

59da21f9a6464_20171007_1040341.jpg.7b44f7f888f9189531aea84fe0528173.jpg

Might want to clean your valve if you're having oil leaks - any pressure in the crankcase will force oil through the old seals/gaskets in a hurry . I have had an issue with this engine somewhat pushing oil through the dip stick's center rivet on mine as well as the pto side bearing plate to crankcase gasket - maybe this was the culprit from the dirt that was in it ?

Sarge

"Manic-Mechanic"

Excellent, I will take mine off and replace the gasket while inspecting and or cleaning what I can.