Duramax7man7

What grit hone...

Duramax7man7

I have a Kawasaki FC420V that I'm replacing the Piston, Rod and Rings in and am wanting to know the best grit hone to use for deglazing the cylinder for the new rings...

Should I start coarse and then use fine or should I use just fine being that I'm not looking to remove any material other than to allow the new rings to seat. 

ALSO, what is the best oil to use as cutting oil? I've read and heard that normal lubricating out can and will clog the stone pores. 

So, some sort of trans fluid? 

Thanks in Advance!

rmaynard

I use a 320 grit ball hone. I use whatever oil I have available. You are only cutting for about 45 seconds at 500 to 1200 RPM, and constantly moving the tool up and down.

image.jpeg.2f2da226279f5b02a52a2c432339fd85.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks. So this will be the best option then? Don't buy a hone with the 3 stones?

And this procedure will literally only take less than 50 seconds to get a nice deglaze and proper cross hatch?

I read that starting with a 280 grit to get a cross hatch and then finish it with another round but with 320-400 grit to knock of the tips of the crosshatching groves to allow a slightly smoother surface for the rings to seat into while still keeping the 280 groves for oil retention. 

Edited by Mastiffman

rmaynard

I have had no problem using only the 320. Remember, all you are doing is breaking the glaze, not taking out major scratches or grooves. A new set of rings won't seat into a smoothe, shiny bore.

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Gotcha. I went ahead and grabbed the harbor freight deglazing hone and some ATF. 

Funny though, I thought that you said 4-5 seconds for the honing. smh... 

The Tuul Crib
On 10/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, rmaynard said:

I use a 320 grit ball hone. I use whatever oil I have available. You are only cutting for about 45 seconds at 500 to 1200 RPM, and constantly moving the tool up and down.

image.jpeg.2f2da226279f5b02a52a2c432339fd85.jpeg

Where can you get this size?

bc.gold

Have your local Napa order the size you need or you can purchase a full selection.

hone.png