Starter

Is there a correct way round to fit 783 on to 513.

Thanksimage.png.f441ecf0e756e7a8d8bf22827cf2c05e.png

daveoman1966

With ABSOLUTE amazement.... I was working on the exact same starter today... A briggs.  Talk about coincidence... Found o9ut that you can flip the 783 to put the worn side in..

I hasve 3 or 4 of  these in my shop...

Can you tell me the model number of this starter???  no numbers on it at all.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No part No on the starter but the engine it is on is a B+Stratton 252707 0620-01, 8hp engine, the reason I am asking is I bought a new bendix gear (not genuine B+S) and it smashed up first time I used it, the company I bought it from are inferring I put it the wrong way round.

image.png.7febfad43a58c9c03559c441a8811694.png

daveoman1966

Thanx for the schematic... I copied it.  Are these things worth my time to cleanup and resell? ? ??

Spring is broken in this one.  I took it apart just to see if I can use the NYLON gear in others ...Yes.  Also to see if it would flip over...YES again.

110.JPG

107.JPG

• Like 1

Normally you would expect there to be a hair spring between the gear and top plate to return it to the resting position, but not on this model, over here a new starter is about £50 I am not sure I would buy a second hand one.

If you turn the gear over in your picture is there a recess like there is in the retaining collar next to it?