SMITTY

kohler kt 17

SMITTY

Have a Kohler kt17 that wont start. Checked the points and the rod coming out of the block sticks out to far and ther is no way to set the Points. When you turn if over it rattles and knocks. Checked the manual and all is says is to slide it in. Could something have happened to the cam inside. Any ideas?4

Smitty

• Sad 1

pacer
25 minutes ago, SMITTY said:

turn if over it rattles and knocks

Sadly that one statement sounds bad - If it has come undone internally it could very well have pushed the point rod out and not let it return. Remove both plugs and stick a soda straw - or similar - in the cyl and turn it over by hand and see if both pistons are still moving.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I will be interested In  your findings as I just bought a 417 A.    Mine has 2000 hours, but really sounds and runs strong.

Edited by Ed Kennell

SMITTY

Hi Pacer 

Thanks for the reply. The only thing is that it just sticks in there. The last thing you do on a rebuild is slide the rod in.  It has to run on the cam and for what I can see the spring on the points holds the tension. I don't know. Hate to give up yet don't see scraping it yet. Had hoped someone had taken one apart.

Smitty

• Like 1

pfrederi

Does the pin move in and out as the engine turns over???

SMITTY

Yes it moves but seems to rattle and you get  a knock. When it rattles it sometime breaks the points.

Smitty

pfrederi

That is not good.   Have you checked the pistons for movement as indicated above?? Also since the points pus rod rides on the camshaft you could open a valve cover and see if the valves are moving correctly.

SMITTY

It's 2 hours away but will check