MoistMeatloaf

Bearing suggestions needed

MoistMeatloaf

I recently picked up a C-161 rear end. When I opened the case one of the m-16121 bearings was shot so I removed all 4 of the drawn cup bearing in order to replace them all. That's when I realized there was one with a different width (.625). I have read on this forum that people suggest using a .5" wide bearing to replace the unavailable .625". I purchased the .5" replacement but after I looked at the original .625 it seems to be in good shape. Should I use the new .5" bearing or take my chances with re-installing the original?

20171004_170156.jpg

daveoman1966

Well, the Origi8nal is only 42+ years old.  Of course, it is all up to you..

WHX??

:WRS: Loaf ...Dave hit the nail on the head being as old as it is and even the best pixs can't allow us to run our fingers over a rough or smooth  bearing surface so I would go by gut feel as to replace or not to. Since you are (hopefully) not going to ride this thing to the moon I would be OK with using the old one if it felt right. If you only want to have this transmission only open once the put the new one in and save the older one for possibly a less, if there is such a thing,  critical application. As for the 1/8 difference seated properly won't  make a difference.

• Like 1

Pat_In_Denver

To my eye, the bearing on the left is much higher quality as there are twice the needle rollers.  Assuming it's the original WH and has limited wear and as Jim stated it "feels right", I'd stick with it.

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Agreed Pat I had noted that as well but does it look like to you the one on the right is caged better??? 

953 nut

:WRS:

I also agree with Pat, the original bearing appears to be superior. Also, the one that came out has a closed end, is that a factor?

MoistMeatloaf

The bearing on the left is the original and it feels and looks to be in good shape. The only reason I am hesitant about reusing it is because of the shape of the other 3 bearings I removed. It turns out that 2 of the M-16121 were missing the flange that holds the needles in. The needles stayed in place until I removed the gears but the pieces of metal from these bearings were found inside the case and stuck to the magnet on the screen. I am worried about this happening to the original .625 if I decide to reuse it.  

20171005_062415.jpg

stevasaurus

I'm a little confused.  If this is an 8 speed, manual transmission, which bearing are you not able to find?

Should be 2  mushroom gear bearings M-16121.

1 cluster gear shaft bearing  M-12121

1 input shaft bearing M-10121

WHX??

C-161 = Sunstrand  hydro Steve

• Like 1

MoistMeatloaf

It is a C-161 twin automatic that has (3) M-16121 and (1) M-16101 drawn cup bearings that were original made by Torrington. Its the M-16101 bearing I could not locate and this forum has said is discontinued.  

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Got ya...BTW  they do make C-161 manual 8 speeds.  I see nothing above that clarified it was an auto...that is why I said "if".  :occasion-xmas:

That M-16101 should measure 1" id x 5/8" height.  The 1/2" height should do you OK...make sure the bearing is flush with the outside.

• Like 1

953 nut
32 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

make sure the bearing is flush with the outside

5 hours ago, MoistMeatloaf said:

2 of the M-16121 were missing the flange that holds the needles in

:twocents-02cents:       I think the previous bearings probably were not set flush and the flanges were cut by the spinning gears.

• Like 1

gt14rider
On 10/4/2017 at 8:37 PM, MoistMeatloaf said:

I recently picked up a C-161 rear end. When I opened the case one of the m-16121 bearings was shot so I removed all 4 of the drawn cup bearing in order to replace them all. That's when I realized there was one with a different width (.625). I have read on this forum that people suggest using a .5" wide bearing to replace the unavailable .625". I purchased the .5" replacement but after I looked at the original .625 it seems to be in good shape. Should I use the new .5" bearing or take my chances with re-installing the original?

20171004_170156.jpg

Can you tell me were you purchased the m 16081 bearing  1 x 11/4 x 1/2

Edited by gt14rider

stevasaurus

Try Motion Industries...you may have to call the nearest one near you.  M-16081 should work for you...the 5/8" bearing is not available.  I would use the new one and save the old one.  :occasion-xmas:

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Try Motion Industries...you may have to call the nearest one near you.  M-16081 should work for you...the 5/8" bearing is not available.  I would use the new one and save the old one.  :occasion-xmas:

I tried a search at Motion Industries and EB Atmus (my regular bearing source)  no hits on M-16081

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I did not get any hits either Paul...that is why I said you may have to call them.  I should have stated that...sorry.

gt14rider

I found this, asked for quote not got a reply yet 

Screenshot_20190420-150023_Chrome.jpg