jeff lary

I need non Wheel Horse Advice

WHX??

Beg to differ with Dakota but I have always had good luck with Briggs, early more so than later models. Yes inquiring minds would like to know what happened in ther. Might be a stubborn bearing not letting the baseplate come off. Looks like you have the shaft cleaned off good enough. Its possble that  the main bearing has seized giving the appearance of the crank being fasten to the base. Try tapping on the crank end while applying slight outward pressure on the base. Good luck and let us know.

jeff lary

yes we will  let you all know but I have my doubts as far as getting the base off. We have had all manner of pry bars in there and beat on the back side of the cover but no go yet. We have hit the crank I say hit because the normal "tap" just aint doing it for us ...but neither is the hit ha ha. We will tackle her again next Sunday. I think either a different tractor or engine is next. His wife ( my sister) likes this one because for whatever reason she can run it easily. I am suggesting a new Intek engine just because hopefully it would just bolt right back on. But I am guessing that the new engine would be between $500-$700.00 if that is true maybe he can find a used tractor instead.

jeff lary

Sorry it has been so long but things have been busy here with the fall and deer season now winter coming soon. We did get back to the tractor for last time at least for now. I built a puller to get the base off the engine and I can tell you it would have NEVER came off without one and even with one it still broke in half. Yep she is just scrap the base was seized to the shaft or someplace and we played hell getting it off. The connecting rod is just crumbs the governor spring assembly was all destroyed as well. there was a small 1/4 or less in length pin in the base rolling around in thertoo. Along with assorted metal crumbs and chunks. BIL is I guess going to see if a fellow about 20 miles away may have a used engine? I have seen this guys add in a local swap trade magazine with 4-6 craftsman mowers for sale all the time and bunches of parts. So I will have to wait to see what he finds out. He also said something about buying parts to repair the engine I have tried to no avail to quell that idea. This engine has been apart before he told me and has been re ringed with larger rings then the head was warped so that had to be planed and so on..... As far as I am concerned it is just past it's useful life. I am really hoping he just saves some money and buys a different mower but only time and spring will tell the tale.