Shea Worden

Firestone Tri Ribs

Shea Worden

I am deciding whether i should get the firestone tri rib tires or the vredestein 5 rib tires.Got any suggestions?

16_650_8_3_rib_front_white__14133.1351789902.220.220.jpg

953 nut

There are quite a few variables to consider. What tractor are they going on?  What will the tractor be used for? How wide are the rims you will mount them on?

Tell us more.

• Like 5

cschannuth

I have both on different tractors and love them. Both make the tractors steer very easily. Some have said the tri ribs are hard on their yard but I have never had an issue with them.  The Vreds have a beefier look to them. 

42F73E40-C1A8-4308-9959-78ED8526E909.jpeg.1ba3a5910267311e9cf4b7ee5dfba57e.jpeg08D18EF4-171F-47BB-A867-25A6B2AC9314.thumb.jpeg.40480cca030b1a084e1f7ce78fd744e6.jpeg

• Like 3

Adams94

Just put these on my c195 and I love the look,  I like the tri rib also but they are like 20$ a piece more

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0927.PNG

• Like 5

Shea Worden
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

There are quite a few variables to consider. What tractor are they going on?  What will the tractor be used for? How wide are the rims you will mount them on?

Tell us more.

These tires will be going on a wheel horse C81 restoration project. The tractor is used for light landscaping and a little offroading. I also want to do a few local garden tractor pulls-nothing serious though. The rims are sized at 16/6.5/8.  

I am not too worried about prices though. I have been saving a pile of cash to spend on my tractor. 

Edited by Shea Worden

MalMac

Tri-ribs were originally designed for farm field use in dirt. The center rib or ridge was there to provide bite when turning sharp when coming to the end of the field to be able flip around and head back the other direction. They provided bite so the tractor had less tendency to slide or skip. That’s the reason they are tough on turf. If you turn hard and fast like in a field, the rib will dig in and can cut like a knife peeling up turf. Now on a small garden tractor maybe not as bad. 

With th the advent over the years in large field implements the need to be able to turn sharp in a field had drop dramatically. That’s why your seeing larger wider tires on two drive farm tractors. Plus the wider tires offer less soil compaction, and that’s a good thing.

Out in the garden I have yet to need tri-ribs on any of my garden tractors. I did put the V61’s 6 ply on my loader tractor. Made all the difference in the world. So I guess it’s up to you. Both are nice tires.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I would go with the tri's based on what you said you will be using it for. They would pair up for a better look if you arte using ags on the back. I have a pair of Firestones  on the front of one of my tractors and the only complaint is they (one side anyway) kept losing air through the rim bead. Might have been due to rim issues though.  Couple of buddies tractors that have the Firestone reported cracking of the tire side wall after only a few years. May or may not be an issue with mine or yours if you get them but time will tell. I would also take a look at some Deestones and other brands, some have more of a flat appearance across the thread for a flatter look. The firestones do have a pronounced center rib for sure. Firestones are the pricier one of the bunch but I think we are paying for the name  more than anything else. My man @Rp.wh just put a set of really affordable Dee tris on the front of a tractor and they don't look half bad.

Keep in mind most V's are required to be tubed. Whatever you decide good luck and :wwp:

20170225_170106.jpg

20170302_190422.jpg

20170515_162047.jpg

These are the Firestones

Edited by WHX12
gramma
  • Like 2

fast88pu

I run the 5 ribs. I don't like the look of the tri rib firestones with the center rib that is higher. I do have deestone tri ribs on my pullers

• Like 1

littleredrider

I have the tri ribs on my 520. Both front and rears are loaded, rear has weights too. Turning sharp they don't dig that bad. Only time I really notice is in certain parts of the yard where there is dirt/mud, they leave a line. But it's not really noticeable. I have a 60" deck and steering reduction, there is some weight there and these tires make it steer like it has power steering. I need to get a spinner nob as I can't steer quick enough when going around trees n what not. I had the V's on a 520 years ago but didn't have it long enough and no real weight or use to get a fair opinion. One thing I do notice is the tri's will push when pulling small hill or in a low gear. Not a huge deal, but think any tire will do that. 

RedRanger
1 minute ago, littleredrider said:

I have the tri ribs on my 520. Both front and rears are loaded, rear has weights too. Turning sharp they don't dig that bad. Only time I really notice is in certain parts of the yard where there is dirt/mud, they leave a line. But it's not really noticeable. I have a 60" deck and steering reduction, there is some weight there and these tires make it steer like it has power steering. I need to get a spinner nob as I can't steer quick enough when going around trees n what not. I had the V's on a 520 years ago but didn't have it long enough and no real weight or use to get a fair opinion. One thing I do notice is the tri's will push when pulling small hill or in a low gear. Not a huge deal, but think any tire will do that. 

Running 3 ribs on my 702, and also noted they pushed/floated climbing hills.  Front weights helped with that.

I'd also suggest looking at the Deestones.  Much less expensive, and they look about the same as Firestones.

These are the narrow version for skinny rims.

59d537f4d7030_023(3).jpg.d7e4e7634208767d8b6156be70c0b885.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth
On 10/3/2017 at 5:54 AM, cschannuth said:

I have both on different tractors and love them. Both make the tractors steer very easily. Some have said the tri ribs are hard on their yard but I have never had an issue with them.  The Vreds have a beefier look to them. 

42F73E40-C1A8-4308-9959-78ED8526E909.jpeg.1ba3a5910267311e9cf4b7ee5dfba57e.jpeg08D18EF4-171F-47BB-A867-25A6B2AC9314.thumb.jpeg.40480cca030b1a084e1f7ce78fd744e6.jpeg

I also have the Deestones on my 606 rat rod and I do like the look better than the Firestone’s.  They are a smaller tire and on a narrower rim so I don’t know how they would compare visually2E6AFB11-99EE-4166-9EC9-90314B36F78A.jpeg.23f7402717c7124e4615b055450a664f.jpeg if they were the same larger size that I have on my 161. 

• Like 1

Shea Worden
13 hours ago, WHX12 said:

I would go with the tri's based on what you said you will be using it for. They would pair up for a better look if you arte using ags on the back. I have a pair of Firestones  on the front of one of my tractors and the only complaint is they (one side anyway) kept losing air through the rim bead. Might have been due to rim issues though.  Couple of buddies tractors that have the Firestone reported cracking of the tire side wall after only a few years. May or may not be an issue with mine or yours if you get them but time will tell. I would also take a look at some Deestones and other brands, some have more of a flat appearance across the thread for a flatter look. The firestones do have a pronounced center rib for sure. Firestones are the pricier one of the bunch but I think we are paying for the name  more than anything else. My man @Rp.wh just put a set of really affordable Dee tris on the front of a tractor and they don't look half bad.

Keep in mind most V's are required to be tubed. Whatever you decide good luck and :wwp:

20170225_170106.jpg

20170302_190422.jpg

20170515_162047.jpg

These are the Firestones

Thanks for the pictures. I think that I will go with the tri ribs. I will look at the deestones and compare the ratings and looks. Thanks. Also, I cant post pictures because I do not have a phone or camera. 

• Excellent 2

Forest Road

I have the TRI ribs on a 314. Absolutely love them. I find it's easier to steer w 2 stage blower. And they grip a little better in the soft spots while making a turn. 

Have the Vreedsteins on 522xi loader. I wanted them for a wider heavier footprint w the loader. The Xi has power steering so I can't comment on what it takes to turn them. They hold up well w a full load. 

• Excellent 1