Usmc1968

Maybe selling my 520XI

Usmc1968

Howdy all!  For lack of being able to  find a FEL for my 1999 520Xi I am thinking of upgrading to something that has one. I have been looking at the Kubota BX series as well as the Mahindra emax or Max series. They seem compatible in size to my 520. Does anyone haveany experience with these?

I love my 520 but more and more I seem to be needing a FEL. I have the 60" deck and a plow.

Semper Fi

Andrew

953 nut

I think @WVHillbilly520H should be able to help.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

Pollack Pete

Last Winter I bought a new Mahindra Emax 25 with a heated cab,56 in. 2 stage snow blower and a front end loader.Love the tractor.Nothing like blowing snow while in a heated cab.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yup Jeff has a 'hindra and if I know him has it set up nice. Wouldn't think you could go wrong with a 'bota either ....we want pics when you do! :)

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Both are fine tractors.Four things that I would consider are: 

• the Mahindra has the engine sourced from South Korea. I'm not sure long-term what that would mean given the political situation right now.
  • The three Kubota dealers in our area in MD are owned by the same family. I would question competitive pricing.
  • The Kubota has a larger following with more aftermarket accessories available.
  • There is a Kubota dealer in Somerset, KY that underprices most local dealers. That even includes the shipping!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FatJackDurham

What about a Kioti? A little more compact than a Kubota.

C-101plowerpower
6 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Both are fine tractors.Four things that I would consider are: 

• the Mahindra has the engine sourced from South Korea. I'm not sure long-term what that would mean given the political situation right now.
  • The three Kubota dealers in our area in MD are owned by the same family. I would question competitive pricing.
  • The Kubota has a larger following with more aftermarket accessories available.
  • There is a Kubota dealer in Somerset, KY that underprices most local dealers. That even includes the shipping!

i thought basicly all mahindra's run ihc mc cormick deering engines from the german build d series, made in the late 50's through the 60's.

only thing changed to the engines seems to be the commonrail injection and all the newfangled electronics to pass emissions. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

i thought basicly all mahindra's run ihc mc cormick deering engines from the german build d series, made in the late 50's through the 60's.

only thing changed to the engines seems to be the commonrail injection and all the newfangled electronics to pass emissions. 

My understanding is this, although it may have changed in the last year. Tractors are like some cars today. They are assembled from different parts bins.

Examples are: eMax = TYM/Daedong,  Max = Mitsubishi.

1533-1538 Mitsu w/ Mahindra engine

2500series TYM w/Mahindra engine

1526, XL, Max is Mitsu w/Mitsu engines

Emax is TYM w/ Daedong

Mforce 100 TYM w/ Perkins/Cat

Mforce 105 Tym w/ Doosan 

3500, 4500, 5500, Mpower are all Mahindra/ Mahindra 

Usmc1968

Thanks for all the feedback folks...I used to have a Kubota B7800 so I am kind of leaning to the B25x. Someone around here has one for sale for $16500 and it has 105hrs on it.

Semper Fi

shallowwatersailor
15 hours ago, Usmc1968 said:

Thanks for all the feedback folks...I used to have a Kubota B7800 so I am kind of leaning to the B25x. Someone around here has one for sale for $16500 and it has 105hrs on it.

Semper Fi

If it is the one in PA,  go for it!. In my opinion, the B is a better value than a BX with only a slightly larger footprint. Good luck!

• Like 1

Usmc1968

Thanks, I will keep searching :-)

I just found a 1999 B2400 with MMM and a LA351 FEL, only 160 hrs for $11,000.  Seems like a nice tractor

Semper Fi

Edited by Usmc1968

WVHillbilly520H
On 10/3/2017 at 5:12 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

My understanding is this, although it may have changed in the last year. Tractors are like some cars today. They are assembled from different parts bins.

Examples are: eMax = TYM/Daedong,  Max = Mitsubishi.

1533-1538 Mitsu w/ Mahindra engine

2500series TYM w/Mahindra engine

1526, XL, Max is Mitsu w/Mitsu engines

Emax is TYM w/ Daedong

Mforce 100 TYM w/ Perkins/Cat

Mforce 105 Tym w/ Doosan 

3500, 4500, 5500, Mpower are all Mahindra/ Mahindra 

The eMax platform is the TYM with Daedong power,  Daedong is the parent company of Kioti which I also have, the original eMax had fiberglass/plastic hood/sidepanel and fenders which TYM still incorporates on their own branded with Mitsubishi engines ,the newer ('17) eMax are now all steel, I have an earlier version with plastic body panels but I opted for the gear drive version for 2 reasons 1) the deal I got on that one and 2) the hilly terrain I mow, I got a FEL and 60" belly mower with mine I couldn't justify the extra $5600 for the snow blower, but $400 for a soft cab maybe later and $2500 for a full hydraulic front dozer blade maybe also, I did get a 5' rear scraper blade for when needed total with what I have now $14500, I still have my 520H with cab and 2stage if the white crap gets deep, and a couple shots of it to compare size to the Xi, another thing to consider when shopping for a SCUT is to go set on them a see if it fits you, the eMax is right at my limit on comfort and I'm only 5'9" the Kioti is more comfortable but less maneuverable for mowing, Jeff.

IMAG3423.jpg

IMAG3215.jpg

IMAG2969.jpg

IMAG2968.jpg

IMAG2608.jpg

• Like 2

Usmc1968

Nice, thanks. The fellow that is advertising it emailed me and told me he would sell it to me his 2016 eMax251 for $13K. That seems pretty good deal with a FEL and a Belly mower with only 25hrs on it! He said nothing wrong with it just the house he was getting fell through and he ended up with a smaller property.

Semper Fi

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
3 hours ago, Usmc1968 said:

Nice, thanks. The fellow that is advertising it emailed me and told me he would sell it to me his 2016 eMax251 for $13K. That seems pretty good deal with a FEL and a Belly mower with only 25hrs on it! He said nothing wrong with it just the house he was getting fell through and he ended up with a smaller property.

Semper Fi

Not a bad price.Bought my Emax25 brand new last December.Heated cab,Front end loader,56 in.2 stage snow blower.Loaded rear tires.22 grand out the door.The one you're looking at is basically brand new with only 25 hrs on it.Mine probably has that many hrs on it by now and I only use it to blow snow.Haven't had the FEL on it yet.Only got the FEL with the Mahindra because it was part of the package.I've got a Ford 1710 with  FEL and a Ford 555B loader backhoe that I use for loader work.

Forest Road

I have a 522xi w loader. You're going in the right direction. I wish I'd waited for a nice used SCUT instead of settling on this. I use it at the vacation home so it sees limited use. I can't count the number of times I've had to pull it out of a 6" deep hole. It works ok but nothing like a 4x4.

It still beats a wheelbarrow!!! 

• Like 2

Usmc1968

Howdy-

Thanks for the replies. I just found a 1999 Kubota B2400 (the other one was sold :-( ) with 1350hrs on it for 6K. It does not have a FEL but does have a 60" mower deck. I figured I could save from buying a newer one and attach a FEL to it. The gentleman bought it used (he buys used tractors and sells them on the side). No service or use history. He said everything runs as it should.  Not sure if this is a lot of Hrs. for a Kubota Diesel engine but the lack of service history concerns me.  Anyway thought on the HRS for this machine?

Semper Fi

Sarge

Lack of history on a gas engine is one thing - on a diesel it's another as they are 3 times the cost to repair when they wear out . The Kubota is one tough engine and known to last a very long time but they can get weak and start using a lot of oil depending if they were serviced correctly or not . I agree about sticking to an earlier non-emissions model , but I'd do my best to find one with a known history and service records . Friend of mine just got a bigger mid-size with loader that looks new , but it had a price tag to match as well .

Sarge

Usmc1968

Ok, great thanks, that is what I was thinking. When did they start adding emissions stuff to these machines? What years should I be looking at?

Happy Birthday tomorrow!!

Semper Fi 

Sarge

Friday , 10NOV is my day for a Smithwick's ale and some grilled meat of some sort - my way of honoring those that went before us - Salute !

Emissions just went fully complete this last couple of years - so no real worries unless you buy a late model unit . I would research any forums and such on the various models you're interested in and hunt for any known issues . Due to the way these compacts are built none of them are fun to work on - they make a D series Horse a joy to deal with in comparison .

This is one area I'd be leery of dealing with a private seller - while most are honest and won't misrepresent what they are selling with these machines most don't know enough about them to know their honest condition . My buddy bought his through a dealer and got a pretty smoking deal trading in his Deere mid-size for the orange tractor - the Kubota was bought there new and serviced at that dealer regularly and also has very low hours - nary a scratch on it when it was traded - I couldn't find any spots where it had been newly touched up with paint , ect . People that use a dealer for service do care about their warranty and their equipment - it truly is worth something in this market due to what they cost new - the Kubota is one of the most expensive brands out there but you get what you pay for . No dealer is going to want to gouge a customer - that's future business and they won't last long if they don't treat their customers right , it does make quite a difference and most will stand behind even a used piece of equipment , or at least the Kubota dealers seem to be that way .While prices are generally higher - you also get that support for parts and service work if needed . If you buy from a private seller - you're on your own in my opinion if you need work done or parts from them . Some of us can get away with that if we have the knowledge to repair the equipment - but for those that don't have that resource it's something to consider . That said , the older machines will have the support like we have with this forum in the Kubota world from those that have dealt with the various models - so the research is necessary if you want to buy smart .

Sarge

Challenger

Wait for the right CUT with a Front End Loader.

I almost bought a small New Holland without loader a few years ago.  (I learned that buying a FEL for the New Holland was not going to be cheap).

At the 11th hour my local Mahindra dealer took in trade an immaculate, low hour CUT with FEL.

I bought the machine and have never looked back.  It is the best small tractor I've ever owned.  

I had two 522xi machines with Kwik Way loaders which I sold to fund the CUT purchase.  These were great machines and I had a strong emotional attachment to them, but I knew it was time to move to Four Wheel Drive.

Good Luck!

Edited by Challenger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Usmc1968

Thanks for your input.  I went to look at the Kubota's today, particularly the BX2680. Very nice, ergonomic and smooth. Only thing I am not sure about is how sturdy it is and the single cylinder bucket system. It almost Seemed like an overbuilt garden tractor as compared to the Mahindra Max26 I also looked at, which seemed more like a "real"tractor". I understand the Mahindra is more in line with the B series Kubotas but not sure if I want to get an eMax.  I also stopped by the local Massey Ferguson, very nice..decisions, decisions..

Semper Fi

WVHillbilly520H

The eMax I have and bought new this spring meets Tier 4 emissions with out the aid of "DEF", pretty much the same engine set up as my older Kioti CK20 (same parent company Daedong), the smaller SCUT aren't under as much scrutiny as the CUT mid size to larger farm tractors yet, I'm sure it's coming since weedeaters and chainsaws now have catalytic converters, don't let me sway your decision get your butt out in many different seats till you find the that fits it and your budget, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Challenger

The Mahindra Max26 the OP mentioned is, in my opinion, a great tractor.

I encourage your interest in this model.

Edited by Challenger
  • Like 1

Usmc1968

Howdy folks-

Thanks for all your input.  I really liked the Mahindra's but lack of good local dealer support I had to pass on them.  I did find a great deal (13K) on a 2017 Massey GC1715 with 72hrs, 60" MMM and a FEL with filled rear tires.. I pulled the trigger on it this weekend.

The only thing I was not keen about is the entire seating area shell (wheel wells, etc) is thick plastic. Something I had not noticed before.  Overall I think it will be a great tractor for my needs.

Now that I have it next to my old 520, the poor old horse looks dull and washed out in color.  What do you folks use to clean and shine them up?

Thanks again and Merry CHRISTmas

Semper Fi

• Like 1