Sparky

Head gasket install tips

Sparky
12 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Did you use the copper spray gasket then Sparkeye? I noticed some recent exhaust side leakage on a freshed up 10 hp of mine and just wondering if I should try it or just learn how & have the patienceto glass a head. 

I've got the same hiccup on a 1257 but it goes away with a little fine tweaking of the hi speed adjust screw or when under load. Probably has original points in it so new ones are not the worst idea either. :)

I did use the Copper Spray that posted a pic of....I cant say that it helps or not, time will tell. New points are on my to-do list for the C-145.

Fordiesel69

Sparky,  you will probably need to retighten once more in lets say 2 - 5 hrs. 

• Like 1

Sparky
58 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

Sparky,  you will probably need to retighten once more in lets say 2 - 5 hrs. 

I believe your right. I was a bit shocked by how much it took to get them back to spec after the first hour or running.

tunahead72
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

... I was a bit shocked by how much it took to get them back to spec after the first hour or running.

Like, how much?

953 nut

It has been my experience that hot torque to the same 25 to 30 foot pounds may be a half turn or more.

Sparky
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

Like, how much?

It’s a half turn or less on EVERY head bolt. And I went to 30 pounds the first time I torqued them. Pretty sure I would have been looking at a leaky head gasket real soon if I had just torqued them once and never re-checked.

• Excellent 1