mels

Current PPG Wheel Horse Red number?

mels

Posted in the stickied thread at the top of this page a few days ago, but haven't received a response.

Local paint shop is telling me that PPG number listed for the earlier tractors is no longer a good number.

Does anyone have the current number?

I'm trying to have a wagon blasted primed and painted but the guy won't begin until he has paint in-hand...

Thanks guys,

Mel

CasualObserver

check post 79 in that thread and see if that works for you. Sometimes that's the trouble with those long topics... things change as time goes by and the top post doesn't always get updated.

• Excellent 1

rmaynard

I just checked an empty can from PPG. The product is called Shop-Line, and the code is 72034. 

This is a code that can be mixed in various different products. I think Buckrancher used PPG Omni.

mels

Thanks, Fellas.  I'll head over tomorrow morning and see if they can find that listing.

mels

72034, according to the paint guy at Levine's is a bad number also.

I'm about ready to give up and paint it flat black but he'd probably tell me thats a bad number too

c-series don

Try ppg number 70094 that is what I used and Cecil Pond said to me that he loved it just before he signed my restored C-121 Automatic. 

rmaynard
On 10/5/2017 at 9:54 PM, mels said:

72034, according to the paint guy at Levine's is a bad number also.

Show him this:

ppgnumber.jpg.118696be8a9229fc09195c4be4a7bc64.jpg

mels

Thanks Gents.  I won't be able to head back there until the 21st, will update y'all then.  Thanks again! 

squonk

Bob's paint can shows a revision date of 2005. There is a chance with all of the voc law changes that formula cannot be made anymore.  I hope that isn't the case.  I worked at Napa from 94 to 2004. At lot of paint formula's went by the wayside including a lot of reds.  The 701 I just got at the show was painted an orangey red. I needed to paint a backrest to match and went thru hell getting a useable formula in a paint style I could use.

c-series don

The number I gave you was from 2004. I have the receipt from when I did the restoration. At the time I used a heat gun and removed the grip on the lift handle. The paint under the grip was obviously like new so I matched it up with a PPG paint chart. 

mels

Right on, yeah a lot can change over 13 years or so.  I guess a call to PPG to see what the current number which replaced the 72034 is would be the easiest way to figure it out.  The guy at the paint counter just looks at me with a blank stare like he's spent too many hours in the paint booth himself...  Lol

If I come to any resolution with PPG, I'll let y'all know (either way)

Thanks again, Gents.

Mel

DeepH2O

I’m sorry to bump an old thread but I’m getting ready to restore my Dad’s 1989 312-8. Did you ever come up with a new number?

RandyLittrell
4 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

I’m sorry to bump an old thread but I’m getting ready to restore my Dad’s 1989 312-8. Did you ever come up with a new number?

The older IH red is a very close match and I came up with this number after a little searching. 

PPG has a number for 2150; it is 71310

Randy

WHX??
4 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

I’m sorry to bump an old thread

:WRS:

No apologies nessecsary  Deep we're here to help.

Mike @squonk didn't you have a close PPG paint  code? 

squonk

No. I have a Napa pt # that is close to the old Valspar Restoration Series that TSC  sold

rmaynard

The can that I show in the post above was mixed and purchased in 2012 and again in 2013. It met all VOC regulations at that time. 

Bob Lister

I had my paint guy scan the inside of my hood the other day. I will pick up the paint tomorrow will let you know what he comes up with and how it matches. I plan to paint my seat pan soon as it looks terrible and most likely the hood over the winter.  When he scans the paint thje computer usually gives the paint code of the closest match. 

• Like 2