Guitarhacker

Stick shift assembly needed

Guitarhacker

I have a Wheel Horse 604.  As far as I can determine, it's a 1964 year model with the 5046 transmission.

My problem is with the stick shift. I think it's part number 5632 Assembly stick shift. 

I inherited the tractor a while back and my father in law had it before that. He may or may not have done some work on it. IDK.  It sat for 6 years in a shed before I got it.

Anyway, someone welded the bottom of the stick shift collar (the round part where the dog point screw goes into)  to the stick shift so that it doesn't float like it needs to do.
It can be shifted but not smoothly. Just a few days ago the stick shift broke off and I had it repaired by more welding so that we can at least drive the tractor and use it.

SO.... where is a good place to find repair parts? I'd love to find the correct shifter assembly, buy it, and install it so I can have the tractor shifting like it is supposed to do. I'd also love to start doing a rebuild on the tractor since there are more issues that really could be fixed with the right parts. Missing choke cable, brake is lacking, belt is not the right one, etc....  Ultimate goal would be to have this machine restored to as close to new as possible.  When I google search I don't seem to be able to find anything useful as far as parts.

Any help, guidance, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Herb

JPWH

:WRS: You can put an ad In wanted classifieds. Also check with vendors. A-Z tractors.

WHX??

Nice to hear you are still working a '64 Herb...the right parts and proper mechanical fixes you should be using it for  many years to come.

In reference to what you referred to as round part  of lever collar it should be welded to the lever itself as from  the factory. You might have the dog point worn or misadjusted. Worse case you might have something sticking inside the transmission causing things not to shift smooth. Perhaps binding shift rails or detents causing an issue?  Kinda but probably not unheard of the shift lever to snap. Usually the more fragile shifter forks to go first. Where did the lever actually break? Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Racinbob

We definitely need pictures Herb. I'm with Jim in thinking the weld isn't the problem. Some were welded , some had a roll pin and I'm sure some were welded by the owner. The 5046 originally had a 4898 shifter but most any will work fine. The only difference is the angle or offset above the transmission to clear things on a particular model. A 604 would probably be fine with any of them :)

This should help:

• Like 1

Guitarhacker

sorry it took so long to get back here..... I don't always get on my computer every day.

So I took the shifter to a welding shop ( I really need to buy a small welder for my shop) and he welded the lever back together.  It snapped off right where it comes out of the transmission collar. an easy fix actually.  I made a dog screw and put it back in and my wife actually used it today to harrow our pasture for planting grass seed.  I had driven it and it did seem to work just fine.

So.... if the collar is supposed to be welded to the shifter rod,.... what is the purpose of the roll pin?  To hold the collar in place until it gets welded?

I will have to get photos but it may be a few days.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Some shifters came with a welded donut. Others used a roll pin to keep it on place. Yours was the roll pin type. Roll pin broke. 

• Thanks 1