Blonde-Tiger

What should I pay ?

Blonde-Tiger

Just came across this Wheel Horse Toro . Has less than 400 hours.

Can you please tell me the year, model and value.

Comes with the front loader, deck and forks for the loader.

Thank you very much.

The owner is starting at $5000

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0004.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0006.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0007.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0008.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0010.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0011.JPG

2017_0929TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT0005.JPG

• Like 5

Jerry77

Welome to :rs:others will be along shortly to give you good advice....glad to have another Hoosier here..:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blonde-Tiger
22 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Welome to :rs:others will be along shortly to give you good advice....glad to have another Hoosier here..:)

Thank you for your hospitality.

• Like 1

JPWH

:WRS:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Will guess the deck is 60". Possibly this one

Garry

• Like 2

Blonde-Tiger
52 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

53 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

56 minutes ago, JPWH said:

:WRS:

Thanks for the info

• Thanks 2

Blonde-Tiger

I am just getting the hang of replying and may have made some mistakes.

Thank you to any and all who have supplied info.

Edited by Blonde-Tiger
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Those are good hours for a 1999 520Lxi. It has a Kawasaki liquid-cooled engine that has had problems in the past with a nylon cam gear failing when the metal insert would separate from the nylon gear. At some manufacturing run number, it was changed to an all metal gear. Somewhere on the forum is that information. It happens to be the one version that I don't own!

There are a few members that have a 5xi with a FEL who might pipe in. With those hours and the appearance in the photos, it looks like a good candidate. My feeling is that the price might be slightly bit high.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Awesome!  I have one.  Pay very close attention to what "shallowwatersailor" just said!  Your Kawasaki might have the plastic cam gear and the word is that it WILL fail.  But, it's all fixable with some time and some money.

I would LOVE to have the FEL!  I think it's worth what the buyer is asking IF your model does NOT have the plastic cam gear.   (Heck it might be worth it if it does but get the owner to pay attention to the below!)  Here's my notes.

Video of replacing cam gear Http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/55095-1998-520-lxi-worker-rehab-survivor/#comment-512059

Steel camshafts replaced the plastic version in production models starting in February 1998 in FD620 engines so this problem does not apply to the following engines.

FD620D-CS00 ? Beginning serial 153727 ? John Deere Model F911

FD620D-DS02 ? Beginning serial 149283 ? John Deere Model 425

FD620D-CS01 ? Beginning serial 150198 ? John Deere Model 445

FD620D-ES11 ? Beginning serial 152490 ? John Deere Model 6×4 Gator

"In February of 1998, steel camshafts went into all 620D engines.  The following engine(s) should have the steel camshaft and stiffer valve springs.  FD620D-DS02 with the beginning engine serial number of 149283?"

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/55095-1998-520-lxi-worker-rehab-survivor/?hl= lxi

The same motor (basically) was used in the John Deere 425 tractor. I think - you need to verify this independently - that kawasaki changed to a steel camshaft gear in 1998 so I think all Lxi's are free from that affliction. It is my understanding that if the plastic gear fails, you have better than 50% odds that the engine will survive the event without further damage.

Lxi models initially came with a plastic cam gear, if hasn't been replaced for the steel one, that will have to be done around 1000 hours or you'll have a mess in the engine

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:         I don't own anything that new, but from the reports I'v seen on here the 520Lxi is the Cadillac of the :wh: line. The whole setup looks like new, and I'm sure it isn't too overpriced considering condition.

• Like 2

Blonde-Tiger

The paint is pretty dull. I heard about this plastic gear problem when I researched a John Deere I found for sale last year. I am sorry to now know this Red Guy has the same weak point. We were talking casually when I got the 5K price. I am going to try an offer of half of that with the intention of 3K as my best offer. I will use the plastic cam gear as negotiation leverage.

I don't need another tractor but I want this one.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jellyghost

3k would be a decent price.  At 5k you can occasionally find a diesel yanmar or Kubota.  I love Wheel horse's, but at 5k I would get a Kubota and save up $500 to get a nice c-series Wheel hHorse.  I think the kubota would be a more functional with a front loader, and it would retain value better. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Blonde-Tiger

Thanks Jelly, I just got lustful for the red paint and in a dream of how I could make this one look with a good detail and some repainting of the black. I will most likely not get it for myself, but pass it on to a buddy who wants something like this for his 5 acres.

Thank you for your insight.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
12 hours ago, Blonde-Tiger said:

The paint is pretty dull. I heard about this plastic gear problem when I researched a John Deere I found for sale last year. I am sorry to now know this Red Guy has the same weak point. We were talking casually when I got the 5K price. I am going to try an offer of half of that with the intention of 3K as my best offer. I will use the plastic cam gear as negotiation leverage.

I don't need another tractor but I want this one.

Thanks for the info.

I am actually  thinking more in the 4K price range including the deck. From appearances the deck is probably worth $700-900 alone. At 5K you are in the Kubota B6100/7100 with 4WD range that are about ten years older like jellyghost mentioned. They are popular in horse country where the owners use them to clear out the stalls.

The paint should come back with some polishing. It doesn't appear to have been left outside. Those really get dull.

• Like 1

emdmat1981

A few additional items to check for upon inspection:

Look for leaks or puddles under the front end loader cylinders / connections / hoses.  One good indication is to look where the machine is regularly parked to get a good visual on places to check.

Also check the rear for leaks and / or axle wear.  Although the rears on the 5xi's are quite durable and reliable under normal to even extreme circumstances like anything mechanical if pushed real hard hard or abused (which can happen with a FEL attached) seals and bearings can wear prematurely. 

Not to say this is the case with your target tractor but something to look for ....

Ed 

Mal(Pa)

Welcome :text-welcomeconfetti: