445FEBronco

Fan screen for hydro on 1276?

445FEBronco

So moving along with my project and it suddenly came to me. So I looked at the manual and there apears to have an expanded steel shroud around it. Anyone got some pics I could look at from a 10 or 12 HP automatic and maybe take some pics with a tape measure?

• Like 1

Achto

I think that I have a PDF drawing of that screen. I will check tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SPINJIM

Here's a picture of the screen on my 1076.  It's a reproduction that I bought from Glenn Cockerham at the WH show two years ago. He had a few made.   Don't know if he still has any, but his email address is hbcghc@msn.com, and he's located just outside of Philly.    The screen is only there to keep grass clippings off of the cooling fins on hydro motor.  It's not needed as a safety feature.    You would have to try pretty hard to get your fingers into the fan.

Jim

WH 1076 screen.jpg

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

Sarge

Finding a decent used fan shroud for that model is a Unicorn - I have to find any expanded metal that matches the pattern of the original too . They way they built them they are pretty fragile - add some frame flexing or break the rear mounting plate and that shroud is toast . The next problem is the fan itself and it's mounting pattern on the hub - they no longer exist and finding a used one with all the blades intact is nearly impossible . There is a fan that is super close that fits the defroster unit in some of the older side-by-side refrigerators - I think it was the older Wards models IIRC....

There is some expanded metal from places on the net that sell small 2x2 sheets - you could go that route if necessary . I would try to beef up it's mounting points with some tack welded flat sheet stock to help keep it from breaking from vibration .

Sarge

Achto

Sorry for the wait. Between the photo that @SPINJIM posted and this drawing you should be able to make a new fan guard.

fan-guard-2016-04-04.PDF

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

Sarge

Nice - my original one was badly broken so I've never had a decent set of dimensions to build new ones - appreciate that .

Sarge

• Like 1

445FEBronco

Yeah I think I can make one frame the pics, thanks for the pics. Ben a little under the weather so project has stalled for not.

sorekiwi
On 9/29/2017 at 9:00 PM, SPINJIM said:

The screen is only there to keep grass clippings off of the cooling fins on hydro motor.  It's not needed as a safety feature.    You would have to try pretty hard to get your fingers into the fan.

Jim

My 1276 doesnt have the screen. 

About 6 years ago while plowing snow, one side of the plow frame came unhooked from the rear axle bracket.  While trying to put it back into place I managed to put the tip of my middle finger into the fan.  Cut right thru a thick glove and that fingertip hurts like hell whenever the weather gets cold now.

Cant fix stupid.

• Sad 2

CasualObserver
On 9/30/2017 at 8:39 AM, Sarge said:

I have to find any expanded metal that matches the pattern of the original too .

Its called perforated sheet....Have a look through here..... http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1004&step=2

• Excellent 1