Tinbgith

314-8 PTO Killing Engine

Tinbgith

So I'm finishing up fixing my new to me 314-8 (73449, 1999), and I encountered a new issue today.

To back up, last weekend I had the tractor running, PTO/mower deck worked fine. Only issue was I later realized (when shutting down) that I had forgotten to hook up the kill wire to the new coil/mag. I pulled the blower housing back off, installed the wire, put it back together, and tested the shutdown kill feature (turning key off). It worked as it should, so that was that.

Fast forward to today... I had a small amount of time to play with the tractor before I had to leave home again. PTO would only engage when trans was in neutral, otherwise it would kill the engine.

To simplify things, I'll just list various conditions/results. I've looked at the schematics and demyst. guide, but I'm not sure which bit is most likely the culprit: switch/relay/connectors/wiring? I do have a good multimeter to use to test various things, so feel free to offer things I should check.

A few things first:

- Engine starts up fine and quickly

- Before kill wire connected, PTO worked as it should, engine continued to run in any gear

After kill wire connected:

- In neutral, can get off seat and engine continues to run

- In gear (moving), if I take weight off of seat, engine is killed

In neutral:

- PTO engages, mower deck runs, with clutch pedal pressed or released

In gear (clutch pedal released):

- When starting to move PTO lever, engine is killed

When moving trans lever from neutral (PTO engaged and working) to any gear, clutch pedal pressed, tractor stationary:

- Engine is killed

Based on reading older posts, I was leaning toward something with the seat switch, but the fact that it cuts out when I take my butt off the seat while moving tends to sway me away from that. I'll still check it whenever I can get back home, just don't know that it'll be the fix.

Thanks for any advice or previous experience you can give!

-Dan

JoeM

looks like there maybe a problem in the no mow in reverse circuit.

59cdf9e5566ba_3148runforward.JPG.c3002a56a270f3fd53949f4f11839206.JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

gwest_ca

Here is the reverse module page. Two types shown - one for electric pto clutch and one for manual pto clutch. Click on the picture to get there and then you can click on the images to enlarge them or you can download the pages.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Tinbgith said:

In neutral:

- PTO engages, mower deck runs, with clutch pedal pressed or released

In gear (clutch pedal released):

- When starting to move PTO lever, engine is killed

When moving trans lever from neutral (PTO engaged and working) to any gear, clutch pedal pressed, tractor stationary:

- Engine is killed

:WRS:     I don't have anything new enough to have all of the relays and electronics )thankfully), but looking at the diagram on page 7-56D of the demystification guide I think the neutral switch or it's relay. If you can pull the neutral relay and jumper the Gray to the Yellow wire that may help narrow it down. @gwest_ca is the expert on this, Garry, if I am barking up the wrong tree please say so.

gwest_ca

Posting this in case the original poster does not have it. Saves downloading all 523 pages.

Garry

Ed Kennell

No mowing in reverse ....why?      :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cleat

My latest little 17-44 does not let you mow in reverse unless you turn a switch under the seat.

I know why that was implemented. Just up the road from me a guy backed over his young boy while mowing grass and severely injured him.

That was a few years ago, I don't know how he is doing now.

Now, I have a daughter who is now 11 and would have been very small at the time of the accident. There is no way she would be anywhere near me when I mow grass.

I don't allow her to ride the tractor with me when I mow either.

I believe that is why the no mow in reverse on newer machines, people have caused injury mowing in reverse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

doc724

I cannot tell you about the no reverse switch on the 1999 machines, mine is a 1998.  However, on my 2002 5xi, (with electric PTO) there is a switch under the seat that you must turn to keep the PTO engaged in reverse.  You have to be on the seat to engage it and if you get off, it will shut everything down.  It is a must have if you are snowblowing. 

Tinbgith

Finally got back home late last night.

I just tested the NMIR module, everything checked within parameters, except for one.

During the powered circuit test, on the third item (Pin 3 Ground, Pin 2 B+, testing between Pins 3 & 1), I got a reading of 2.9 ohms, while it should've been <2 ohms. When voltage was applied, I did hear a solenoid click, but I'm guessing the reading of 50% higher than the limit could have something to do with my issue.

Looking at the schematic, I believe Pin 1(Violet) goes to both the neutral relay and the kill relay, and could definitely be the culprit if it's not operating correctly.

Do you guys agree? If so, I'll go ahead and order the NMIR module. If not, then I'll keep digging.

Thanks for the tips/diagrams so far!

-Dan