FatJackDurham

Thinking of selling one of my tractors....

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  Clearly...

it'a another 00707_6geLQlMrhzm_600x450.jpg.418527ed8e991567d9f35bb0bb8749a4.jpg no brainer here. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

slim67
On 9/28/2017 at 1:12 PM, 953 nut said:

You are talking to the wrong crowd;   we only have experience buying and coming up with reasons (excuses) for never parting with them.  :ychain:

In the tractor world, these Redsquare bunch are the people your mother warned you about ! By the time theyre done with you ,you wont be selling any.

You are talking to the wrong crowd;   we only have experience buying and coming up with reasons (excuses) for never parting with them.  :ychain:

In the tractor world, these Redsquare bunch are the people your mother warned you about ! By the time theyre done with you ,you wont be selling any.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut
10 hours ago, slim67 said:

OK Slim, I get the point!      Please don't tell me again!     :ychain:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 9/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, FatJackDurham said:

not sure why you tractor-perverts want to see pictures... Makes me feel kind of weird, but oh well, it's the internet, I am sure no one will find out.....

I just - Literally - burst out laughing .....

14 hours ago, dells68 said:

Well, get rid of the craftsman, show your 416 a little more love, and who can blame the GT14?  It just didn't like that import!

EXACTLY what I was thinking

13 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:      :text-+1:    :text-goodpost:

InkedIMG_7309.JPG.046f892e7069f3ec5764a8568b44bb11_LI.jpg.eca8a5ca09a17c8eb4b099122524f383.jpg

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

• Like 4

ebinmaine

I have a liking for the earlier stuff... So I'd rather FIX a GT14 than USE that "Crap" tractor.

OK in the interest of full disclosure... I may be a bit deranged so be careful with using my input.

Seriously though - Keep the :wh: 's if you can... they just seem to me to be VERY well built and you'll likely get much more life in the long run.

• Like 2

Sarge

Just another point - I've seen several of that model Crapsman in the scrap yards on the mixed pile pretty much complete . In fact, one looked in a fair bit better shape than yours . Considering the cost of parts - it doesn't matter as stuff for both brands cost about the same - it's about how much more life you can expect from them as said . That's where the stamped frame lawn unit is going to lose the argument . Yeah , I know it's worth less , but that right there should tell you something . I have a JD LA145 w/48" deck and have considered getting rid of it as I don't have a lot of room here - but for now it runs and it's not worth enough money to justify getting rid of it . Won't be too long and the transaxle will give up , same as yours will and then I'll part it out . Point is , I use it to only take some of the load off my Horses for mowing - that duty is rough on anything , especially with a very rough yard . All things considered - they all mow the same quality since the JD has the stupid Edge series deck on it which is crap at best . Biggest reason I keep it is it was my Dad's and was inherited when he passed - otherwise that sucker would be long gone - no where near the quality of any of my Horses .

There is no way I'd part with a Horse versus a Crapsman - that just doesn't compute...

Sarge

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

My son unchained this morning to wrench on the Pete's at work, on the way i took notice in the dark sum one put a MTD out to curb & said free ? LOL, i didnt have the nerve to take a pic & post it, But the timing with this post & that piece of History sitting along the road made me Laugh, went home same way & its still sitting there, Hmm there still is Smart people in Pa hahaha, Oh crap, here come's my boy to chain me to the wall, honest son, i didnt even think of Craigslist ;-) 

• Confused 1

FatJackDurham

Okay, all good input. Sadly, after mowing today on the 416-8, I have to say I am leaning towards selling it. The big problem seems to be that the mowing blade get too bogged down in even moderately tall grass. If someone can help me figure out why, that would help. But after driving it around and mowing, even with weights on the wheels, I have to say, and I am prepared for an onslaught of boos, the craftsman mows my plot better, and is more stable now that it's wheels are filled and weighted.

I'm a little sad, because I was really hoping it would mow really well. Input on this problem?

Edited by FatJackDurham
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Spindles and mule drive idler bearings all good? Belt good? clutch disk good?

FatJackDurham
Just now, 953 nut said:

Spindles and mule drive idler bearings all good? Belt good? clutch disk good?

it all turns freely by hand. Belt is as tight as I can make it. Is there any sort of deck leveling or angling that would help?

ohiofarmer
1 hour ago, FatJackDurham said:

it all turns freely by hand. Belt is as tight as I can make it. Is there any sort of deck leveling or angling that would help?

The deck is supposed to be lower in the front. Others can tell you how to accomplish this.

Sharpen the blades is my advice. Also check their length to make sure the tips are not worn back. Sharp blades make a world of difference on mine.Yes, that is only ten horsepower with a 42" deck and the grass is higher than the hood

It has been tough to mow this year as the grass has so much rain that it is very soft and wants to lay down in front of the blades.

I do not know if you have ever changed a transmission belt on the craftsman yet, but I would suggest that you look at some "taryl fixes all" videos on YouTube.

I own a  26 Horspower Huskee with a 54" deck. Great to have for the big farmstead yard, but no way would I keep it if that meant losing a Horse. Operating costs including fuel and very expensive transmission belts make it a loser except for the time it saves. Working on it is a pain, but it mows 30% faster for twice the fuel consumed.

Probably from an engineering standpoint, there is less power loss from a vertical engine driving the blades and also the transmission on the same axis, but a true tractor transmission like the Horses have to push snow and plow is just apples and oranges to the Sears stuff

I have 48" and 42" decks for my Horses, and i am so cheap that I cut the big blades down to fit the 42' saving a bit of cash

Anyway, it is your mowers and your decision, so do what is best for you.

no idea how the lines are crossing out the script, so please ignore

001.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

FatJackDurham

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll finish mowing today after work. Then I'll think on it.

i may not have to sell any. I just paid my bills and I have the money I need for now, so the pressure is off.

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

i may not have to sell any. I just paid my bills and I have the money I need for now, so the pressure is off.

PPHHFFEEWWW !!!

:woohoo:

slim67
On 9/30/2017 at 7:00 AM, 953 nut said:

OK Slim, I get the point!      Please don't tell me again!     :ychain:

ooops! sorry 953. have a nice day

953 nut
6 hours ago, slim67 said:

:ychain:                      :ROTF:                             :happy-jumpeveryone:

slim67
32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:ychain:                      :ROTF:                             :happy-jumpeveryone:

:text-yeahthat:

• Haha 1

ohiofarmer
9 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll finish mowing today after work. Then I'll think on it.

That is great news. All of your responsibility to your family is more important than hobby tractors, my friend. One of my tenants in a rental property called and told me that his check bounced and he said that he would sell a gun to cover it. The amount he was behind was not the entire rent check, so I offered to bail him out of that amount and that saved him from 3 more bounced checks. That is the kind of thing that can really put you behind, so i got him $300.00 as a loan and he signed the Beretta to me as collateral and paid it off over a few months. Sure,it was nice of me to do it, but the loan was 100% collateralized.

We then had enough respect and trust for each other that i sold him the house on land contract at 0% down and increased the interest a bit to accommodate the risk. Now he is going places and it is a win-win business deal as his equity grows and my concern over losing a good tenant has all but evaporated. The house he is in was a pain in the butt to rent as two apartments, but it was easily converted back to a single family and he is in a town and school that is good for his family.

The point that I am trying to make is that there are far too many people living paycheck to paycheck because of the bankers taking us down the river in 2008 and the little guys are paying for it in hidden costs and inflation rates lied about by our government. Look at your shrinking bar of soap, skinny toilet paper and a half gallon of ice cream that is one pint short and stuff like that as examples. Anyway, we went outside the system and did our own banking to a great result..

So hang in there FJD. I will keep you in my thoughts, and you can PM me anytime if you need to let off a little steam

• Excellent 3

FatJackDurham

Okay, I have decided, I AM going to sell the 426-8, but only if someone here wants it to restore it. The reason has changed though. Before, had a pressing expense, but that has been settled.

Now, I have stumbled on a fantastic deal for a Champion air compressor, the $2000 model for just $450!!!!! With that, I can get a sand blaster and go to work on the GT-14.

So, I'll be posting in the classifieds, for those who are interested.

ericj

sell the crapsman !!!!!!!!!!

eric j

• Like 1

FatJackDurham
10 hours ago, ericj said:

sell the crapsman !!!!!!!!!!

eric j

Can't! Not until I make it through mowing the yard successfully with either Wheel Horse at least once!

ohiofarmer

Good luck on the sale. I have a true garage queen that the motor would fit, and if I lived closer.............................