FatJackDurham

Thinking of selling one of my tractors....

FatJackDurham

I am thinking of selling one of my tractors, but I can't decide which. I am not a collector, so I don't need three tractors. I acquired each specifically to mow my lawn and only recently got them all fixed up to mowing condition. I am trying to think of reason's to keep or sell. I want to sell the Craftsman, but I'll get the least money for it because of the hood damage from flipping. Also the craftsman has been the most reliable, even with the gymnastics moves, and it has the highest horse power. The GT-14 is, well, a GT-14. 'Nuff said. It's the best of all three and has builtin hydro, is the best for plowing. But its the hardest to drive, least maneuverable, and hardest to source parts for. The 416-8 drives the best, but is in the sketchiest condition, rusted all over. But, I just had it tuned and fixed, it's a solid manual transmission which is great my hills, and I think is the best prospect for a possible loader in the future.

Craftsman DLT3000 - w/ 42" mower deck

Pro's for keeping-

• Parts are more available
  • Engine runs well
  • Manual Transmission
  • Highest HP (18)
  • Agile mowing machine
  • Tires freshly weighted and loaded

Cons for selling-

• Damaged hood from flipping it over
  • Will probably get the least amount of money

Wheel Horse 416-8 - w/ 42" Mower deck and 48" dozer blade

Pros for keeping-

• 16 hp Onan twin
  • Manual Transmission
  • Engine and carb just tuned up
  • Best option for an eventual loader build
  • Agile mowing machine

Cons for selling - 

• Very sketchy looking, lots of rust

Wheel Horse GT-14 - w/ 48" mower deck and 60" dozer blade

Pros for keeping-

• Builting hydro lift for plowing
  • heavy and stable for mowing
  • Hydro just fixed and carb rebuilt

Cons for selling-

• Eclectic machine, needs to find someone who really wants it
  • Lights not working, not all original

I need about $700 which is more than I can get for the Craftsman, probably more than I can get for the 416, and less than I would settle for for the GT-14. Some of you guys with experience, please chime in and give me some more things to thing about, to help decide.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Confused 1

Skipper

Pictures would help a lot ;-)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tankman
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You are talking to the wrong crowd;   we only have experience buying and coming up with reasons (excuses) for never parting with them.  :ychain:

Honest Hon, that Horse we have to keep. We definitely need that Stallion. :text-yeahthat:

carrot-and-stick.jpg.118f912f6ab84496eda69113c0e07b93.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SPINJIM

So much depends on size of your lawn, how much plowing, hours on the machines, etc.    Pictures and more info would help.   

If you don't have much lawn, the Craftsman is OK, as long as you store in indoors so that the deck doesn't rust away.   

I prefer Kohlers over Onans.  If an Onan goes bad, I couldn't afford the repairs.   If a Kohler 14 goes bad, I might be able to fix it myself.  

The hydraulics on the GT14 are nice, so based on the info so far, I'd keep the GT14 for plowing and heavy work.   

Good luck,   Jim

• Like 6

Aldon

As difficult as it can be to keep the GT14 in prime shape, you will definitely have second thoughts should you let it go. The fact that you have the Hydro purring is another good reason to keep. 

However 700 for a rusty machine is a hard sell. Same with a rolled craftsman.

Good luck on whatever path you tread.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Big_Red_Fred Have some one take your temperature your:wh: Addiction is not at 100% . Get rid of the crapsman , keep your horses bring the D into the herd.

Big_Red_Fred

I walked in after work today, my 16 year old boy said Dad, get off craigs list, your hands are shaking & drooling at tractor pics, we have no food ? I HAVE THE ITCH, I GOT IT hahahaha, i cant stop myself, Help 953 ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

FatJackDurham
41 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Big_Red_Fred Have some one take your temperature your:wh: Addiction is not at 100% . Get rid of the crapsman , keep your horses bring the D into the herd.

That is the preferred course of action, however, I need to be absolutely certain of mowing with the 416 before I let the Crashman go.

not sure why you tractor-perverts want to see pictures... Makes me feel kind of weird, but oh well, it's the internet, I am sure no one will find out.....

IMG_7309.JPG.046f892e7069f3ec5764a8568b44bb11.JPGIMG_7310.JPG.645b0246e4cf7805535639dd958196bf.JPGIMG_7311.JPG.691461003e1e87c8444b6533b42f871d.JPG

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Hey Jack, you need me to restore that 416, or just trade with me LOL, Kohler16 better then that Onan , Dont let my bud eric read thatIMG_04481.jpg.aa354d9556c15e525fd73fa4f893e4d4.jpg

FatJackDurham
3 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Hey Jack, you need me to restore that 416, or just trade with me LOL, Kohler16 better then that Onan , Dont let my bud eric read that

The Kohler 16 may be better, but the Onan sounds cooler...... Can't stop driving it around the yard just to hear it.....

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
34 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

The Kohler 16 may be better, but the Onan sounds cooler...... Can't stop driving it around the yard just to hear it.....

Hey, its Red & we enjoy regardless, I will post a pic of all my son's horses this weekend, i have the 416 with me & a C125 & C145 in 3 boxes hahaha from that d200 sale, I better not say about the next horse till its on my trailer

Edited by Big_Red_Fred

953 nut
2 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Help 953

Help with what, surfing C's list?    :ychain:

Image result for sounds normal to me

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

That would be a hard one.  Dump the craftsman and use it as a starter saving account.......

• Like 4

dells68

I agree, get rid of that crapsman and try to recoop what money you can.  I'd hate to part with either horse.  I know I've become a horse hoarder ... and I don't care!  Lots worse things I could be hooked on!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@FatJackDurham Didn't the Craftsman try to kill you a couple of times on hills?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

dells68

There is your answer!  Get rid of that thing!!!

FatJackDurham
9 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@FatJackDurham Didn't the Craftsman try to kill you a couple of times on hills?

Yep, thats why I tied some weights to its feet. 

I guess I'll decide after this weekend. Thanks for all the input.

FatJackDurham

Actually, El Camino, All three have taken a bite out of me. Craftsman did a back flip on me, the 416-8 pinned me to my sailboat and gave me a deep tissue bruise, and the GT-14 head-butted my Subaru, costing me a few hundred.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Pollack Pete
2 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

Actually, El Camino, All three have taken a bite out of me. Craftsman did a back flip on me, the 416-8 pinned me to my sailboat and gave me a deep tissue bruise, and the GT-14 head-butted my Subaru, costing me a few hundred.....

You better get rid of them all.They're all trying to do you in.I'll come with my trailer and take them all to Pollack Pete's horse training camp.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

FatJackDurham
7 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

You better get rid of them all.They're all trying to do you in.I'll come with my trailer and take them all to Pollack Pete's horse training camp.

Wow, that's really kind of you! How can I refuse, except to say "NEVER!!!!!"

• Like 2

dells68
7 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

Well, get rid of the craftsman, show your 416 a little more love, and who can blame the GT14?  It just didn't like that import!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Well, get rid of the craftsman, show your 416 a little more love. 

:text-yeahthat:      :text-+1:    :text-goodpost:

InkedIMG_7309.JPG.046f892e7069f3ec5764a8568b44bb11_LI.jpg.eca8a5ca09a17c8eb4b099122524f383.jpg

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:      :text-+1:    :text-goodpost:

InkedIMG_7309.JPG.046f892e7069f3ec5764a8568b44bb11_LI.jpg.eca8a5ca09a17c8eb4b099122524f383.jpg

Craig i coughed up a Lung Laughing

• Like 1