Bill D

Onan P216 RPM Setting

Bill D

Hi,

I have the Onan P216 on my tractor.  I got a Craftsman professional timing light with tachometer.  I hooked it up to the #1 cylinder ( the one with the longer wire I think) and It worked fine.  When I hooked it up the to the #2 cylinder it would not work. The engine will start on either the #1 or #2 only if you disconnect one of the plug wires.  The plugs and wires are new.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Bill

Duramax7man7

What are you trying to fix? You mentioned RPMs but you're using a timing light. The timing is present and non adjustable. The ignition is electronic and accomplished by an ignition module and magnetic spark trigger ring on the crank behind the flywheel. 

In section 8-1 of the Onan performer engine manual you can test the ignition components for proper continuity readings. 

There is a high speed stop tab on the governor plate on the back of the front air shroud (towards the front of the tractor; on the left looking at the front of the engine) that you can bend to adjust the engine max RPMs if the throttle cable is set appropriately. 

Hope this helps!

Bill D

I was just setting the RPM's.  I just thought it was odd that even though I could confirm that the rear cylinder was firing, the tach on my timing light wouldn't read off that cylinder.

Bill