Sign in to follow this  
MEBDRB

Cutting edge

MEBDRB

Hey guy's, my cutting edge on my blade is worn all the way down, what do you guy's use?.....Do you go have one cut from actual cutting blade materiel or?

Also the Feet for the blade are in bad shape, do you guy's make your own somehow or?

Thanks...

combatmp29r

Darren, is the other edge good? you can always turn it over top - bottom for the rest of the winter.

Sparky

Joels right you can flip the cutting edge over. I do know that you can still buy new ones from a dealer for the 42" and 48" blades but I dont know about the 56"?? blade. I dont use the feet or shoes on any of my plows.

Mike........

MEBDRB

HHMMMMM.......good question, because of my lack of knowledge I never checked that..... :D

I do know I will need a new one because it is getting narrow and there will not be much left before it gets into the plow itself.

combatmp29r

Darren, I've seen guys cut them out of the flat carrier leaf from a set of car or truck leaf springs :D

MEBDRB

Darren, I've seen guys cut them out of the flat carrier leaf from a set of car or truck leaf springs :D

That is why I was asking what you guy's did, because I have made them for another plow in a similiar fashion.... :P

Rollerman

Darren I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply store out in your area...or similiar?

But I bought 1/4" thick by 2&1/2" tall strips of steel there & made my own cutting edge there for my wide blade.

Probably not as hard as a true cutting edge material but it's held up so far.

I've also seen some people use thick rubber strips as a cutting edge & swear by them...yes by them not at them. :D

combatmp29r

Darren, I'm in the process of building a toy for the V18 to pull. I made the cutting edge for it out of a carrier leaf off a Semi. The original one on the original piece (mines a reproduction and customization, say that ten time fast) had a piece of 1/2" x 4" CR steel for the cutting edge. It lasts about 100 hours of use per side from my understanding. I'm hoping to get more than that out of the spring leaf. Time will tell.

MEBDRB

I've also seen some people use thick rubber strips as a cutting edge & swear by them...yes by them not at them. :D

That's funny..... :(

Yea, we have several tractor supply shops right here by the house, we also have Western States Cat dealer.....I thought about going down and seeing if they have a piece of take off...off of a large dozer, if it is worn to their standards, it may be good enough for my little Horse.... :P

T-Mo

I was pondering this thread, as I see that the cutting edge on these is steel. And I was thinking of what I've seen on some JD plows and was wondering if I would venture into this. But, Stephen brought it up. I know JD sells what is referred to as "Squeegee" edges, basically rubber edges. They are kinder on asphalt and concrete surfaces when snow blading. So, I would think that if you are using this plow on concrete or asphalt, you might look into the hard rubber idea to save your drive. Just throwing it out there.... :D