sscotsman

Leaf pickup/mulching with Rear Engine Rider.

sscotsman

Hey everyone,

I bought a new toy!

toro.jpg

It's a Toro 832 RER, model 56145.

Based on the serial series, 700xxxx, I determined its a 1987 model.

I bought this for one primary purpose..Autumn leaf pickup.

Im still using my 1964 Wheel Horse 854 as my primary summer mower, but it doesnt have an available bagger, so I needed a 2nd machine for leaf pickup.

I bought the Toro a few days ago, its running fine! needed a carb clean, and it might need a coil..its stalling when hot. If it needs a coil, I'll create a new thread about that.

But as for the leaf pickup, it works! I have the deck set high, because I want to get only leaves, and not grass..but it doesnt really chop up the leaves much. The leaves in the bagger are still fairly complete, chopped into roughly halves or thirds..I would like to get finer chopping if possible. (im collecting the leaves in a big compost pile, to use as garden soil ammendemnet for next year..)

Does anyone have suggestings for something like a gator blade or a mulching blade that might give me finer leaf mulching?

my main goal is leaves only, collected in the bagger, not grass.

thanks!

Scot

p.s., is there any Wheel Horse DNA in this Toro?

Edited by sscotsman
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

These Toro models originated before the Wheel Horse acquisition in 1986.

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

I know it's a extra step but if you want fine leaves, Get yourself a Flowtron  Leaf Eater. You usually can find them on CL fairly cheap.I got mine for $50 It sets on top of your std size garbage can. dump the leaves in and turn it on. When the can is full take the can to the garden and dump it. You can adjust the size of the leaves easily.

http://www.flowtron.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=F&Product_Code=LE400&Category_Code=FTPR

images.jpg.c31748bf24090361c081189a6a2db4ee.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

I have been using a 42" rear discharge mower and tow a 42" sweeper behind it for several years. Get about four or five times as much in the sweeper that way.

• Like 2

ericj

I've been using a powerflow bagger system on my horses for several years. the one thing I've noticed is that the higher the moisture content, the less fine the leaves mulch up. onc the leaves dry good later in fall my bagger turns then into powder. give it some time and see if it improves once the leaves dry better

eric j

• Like 1

Sarge

I use a large sweeper - once picked up I suck them up in the Stihl blower/vac which shreds them pretty small . Dump the bag in the big trailer I built and haul them off or burn them . Last few years I've just hauled them out to the Village's burn pile - I have having all the ash around here as it always seems to be blown somewhere I don't want it . A bit of work , but the overall cost was low and those items are useful for a lot of other tasks .

I'd prefer a lawn vac in a pull behind unit , but they sure aren't cheap ...

You might be able to double up the blades on the mower - I run a full set of Gator blades above the high lift Oregon mowing blades on my 48" deck - it seems to shred the grass up pretty well - I'll find out soon enough how it works on the leaves .

Sarge

• Like 1

sscotsman

Thanks everyone!

Squonk, cool idea on the flowtron! but I got the Toro to avoid raking leave all together! ;) I went to the emergency room last October after raking leaves..turns out I was fine, but still..Im done raking leaves for life. We have a LOT of leaves in our yard, and our town doesnt pick them up. There are too many to just mow over and leave on the grass, I would have spots where mowed leaves are 8 inches thick and would smother the grass. So they need to be removed, but I dont want to rake them anymore..

953 Nut, I considered a sweeper! that is an option, but a sweeper narrow enough to get through my gates I didnt think would hold much..

Eric, dry leaves! good thought..but the leaves were pretty dry already on my test run..It was the end of our 5 days of 90 degrees and no rain..the leaves were pretty crunchy already.

Sarge, double blades? I never knew that could be done, I have only seen mowers with an attachment for one blade. I'll tip up the Toro and see what it looks like under there..

Are there blades specifically designed for leaf pickup, as opposed to grass?

thanks all,

Scot

Edited by sscotsman

squonk

Dump the leaves out of the hopper next to the Flowtron. Then just scoop them into it. You can have the can and flow tron in a trailer. Can gets full, drive to the garden and dump. Lather rinse repeat! :)

• Like 1

oldredrider

I don't rake leaves anymore.

Resized_20150621_175520.jpeg.146c45c235a04ebc3cb6be082f5490f3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Scott, good to see you, it's been a while. Ever get your 854 Done?

Glenn

dcrage

I would just do double (or triple) cutting. Use your 854 first to break down the leaf size.  When they are noticeably smaller use your Toro bagger to pick them up.  I do the same thing with my 310-8. Mulch first by mowing 2 or 3 times and then picking up with my bagger attached. 

A little extra seat time (not necessarily a bad thing), BUT your save a lot of time by not having to dump your bag as often and not clogging the fill tube as much. 

sscotsman

Glenn,

No, the 854 isnt done..but its also done! ;) when I bought it from Buckrancher almost 7 years ago, I was intending to do a full restore on it..but, its been such a good and reliable machine, and its been my primary mower, so I need it all spring/summer/fall, so I cant take it out of service to do a restoration! But im totally fine with that, I now think I like it better in its natural unrestored state.. it's still in active service at age 53, with no plans to retire. So im just going to leave it alone and keep using it. Photo from today! I cleared a spot for the new Toro:

IMG_20170930_123252514_HDR-L.jpg

Dave, that could work, double passes..I could go out with the 854 first then follow up with the Toro. I'll probably try that this year, see how it works. I would still like to consider a different blade for the Toro though too, if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks,

scot

Edited by sscotsman
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks Scott, was just curious on it. Years back I sent you the parking brake adjustment information when I did my 854 over. Sometimes I think maybe I should have left it in its old clothes. Good to see you posting.

Glenn

• Like 2