69 fury

91 520 H starting question

69 fury

never any problems starting in past. went to start it today and it will only start with jumper wire from battery to coil.   runs fine. could coil be bad? couldn't get engine harness apart  yet but that is next.  what do you think? 

roadapples

Hold key on and wiggle fuses..

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Hold key on and wiggle fuses..

And safety switches, like the PTO and shifter lever...

• Like 2

69 fury

i will try that. i did see the condenser wire is bare coming out of condenser  if that makes any difference.

gwest_ca

I believe the condenser is connected to the (+) 12 volt feed to the ignition coil of the Onan's so a bare wire could short to ground and blow a fuse. Normally we see condensers wired to the (-) negative side of the coil to protect the points.

Good wiring diagrams

Garry

69 fury

Garry, yes the condenser goes to + side of coil.i don't see any mention off it in wiring detail.i would like to replace it if i can find a part # since it has bare wire coming out of it. 

I found 30 amp fuse blown .  checked around lot of the things yesterday other then condenser and fuse didn't find much, when i use a jump wire from battery to coil fires right up. would it run if coil or module was bad? noticed low oil pressure light flashing when i turn key on and all the lights come on  then go out but it keeps flashing till engine starts. it always has done that.looking for ideas. thanks for every ones help.    Jerry

gwest_ca

I guessed the condenser was part of the Onan engine but did not expect to find it fastened to a bracket below the base of the air cleaner on the air cleaner parts list. What a dumb place to put it. Hope this is the one # 59-1180

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/59-1180/

You can not trace the wiring fault with the coil jumpered because it will back feed the circuits to the point of the fault and drive you nuts. 

One way is to check the voltage from the coil back or

Start at the ignition switch and see if you have power there. If not work your way back towards the battery. If the switch is delivering power to the ignition circuit at the switch head towards the ignition coil and see where it stops. The detailed wiring diagram for the ignition circuit makes it easier.

No it would not run if the coil or module was bad.

For testing purposes disconnect the condenser in case it is shorted internally. That would explain the bare wire. I will guess it was added to smooth out the voltage to the coil. It won't hurt to run the engine with it out for testing purposes.

This is where I found the condenser. It is in part 2 on the air cleaner page.

Garry

• Like 1

69 fury

Garry, glad you found it.i was thinking it never came on tractor to begin with.have power to everything except wires going to coil. i got to fuse panel and found 2 wires that were taped together so i took them apart. i turned the key and nothing .twisted them together engine cranked over fine.ran a third wire with them and touched coil ,tractor started and runs fine.will look at color of 2 wires and let you know what they are. put everything back together went to start it and nothing but a real faint click.i found it coming from top of dash where all the safety light are. i taped it on back side tractor started.drove it around for hour everything good. have to figure out how to get cover off back of light harness in dash.called dealer in town  and the have to order condenser. thanks again Jerry

• Like 1