Fordiesel69

M14 - What did I do.........

Fordiesel69

Ended up picking up a locked up / seized M14 engine.  In an attempt to free it, I used a block of wood, and a regular 18oz hammer to see if I could knock it loose.  After hitting the piston (with wood block), it would not budge so thankfully I did NOT switch to a sledge hammer.  No damage to the piston due to using wood. As it turns out, the seizure was because the mice built a nest in the flywheel housing, the fuzz got into the ring gear and jammed the starter.  Upon cleaning it, and getting it free the engine is quite good.

Did any damage occure from hitting piston?  I have never had issue with this in the past on mostly stuck two stroke engines that have sat too long.  

oldredrider

Piston are constructed to "take a hit" about 1800 times a minute. You'll be fine.

• Like 3

wheelhorsebuckeye

In the future if you think you have a stuck piston, just pour a little transmission fluid in the cylinder and let it soak for a few days. Just a tip.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Fordiesel69 said:

mice built a nest in the flywheel housing, the fuzz got into the ring gear and jammed the starter.

Glad they didn't ruin the magneto.

Chances are that a piston that is stuck has rings rusted to the cylinder wall and there would be enough pitting to require being bored.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Exactly, however I always try to free them, and run it to see if it had a rod knock.  Often a flat hone and new rings do the trick.  If rod is needed I typically tear it down and have it all done.  

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

Well.......very happy to report after freeing the mouse nest and wire wheeling the ring gear, this engine kicked off like it was new.  Runs silent and strong and no oil burning thankfully.  I did decarbon the cylinder as i already had the head off.  Now I just need to wash it down as it still stinks!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

we like :text-coolphotos: of mouse nests.  I had one the size of a half loaf of bread in a Briggs one time. [   Huskee 26 HP tractor]

Shoulda took a photo.

• Like 1

953 nut

Mice aren't the only critters that can make for a long day. Several years back I couldn't get the mower to start for the first spring mowing, no spark. Pulled the flywheel and found an insect nest between the open contacts of the points, got that out and was back in action.