wrightorchid

Magnum 12 oil level

wrightorchid

I have a 312-8 with a Kohler m12.  Is there somewhere to find out how much oil is used from the low to high fill range on the dipstick?  I don't recall seeing this stated in the owner's guide.  I have a problem with the motor, with a leak on the PTO side of the engine, but understand a full rebuild will be needed at some point to fix.  Over time it pretty much covers that side of the engine and PTO area with oil.  I am trying to keep it running as long as I can, since it is my worker, and they are very hard to find in Florida.

Racinbob

I doubt that's listed anywhere. I would suggest that you start by filling with 1/2 of the stated capacity. Check it and keep working up to full capacity. :)

gwest_ca

When the low oil switch was introduced it was determined there was not enough oil in the engines so it generated a service bulletin and a different dip stick. Download these 3 pages.

What is your tractor's model number and engine spec number? That should determine which dipstick you have.

They added 1 pint to the capacity and it raised the full mark 7/8" and the add mark 1".

Garry

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

You can remove the pulley (with heat) and drill very tiny holes into the seal.  Screw two long screws into the seal across from each other and pull it out.  It may take some force, but it will come.  Then you can lubricate and press in a new seal by hand, making sure it is perfectly straight.

I am OCD with checking oil, and I have even run some of my oil burners low.  I would very much recommend getting it fixed as these engines are worth every penny.  It is hard to find virgin cores that have not been rebuilt (often incorrectly).  

• Like 1

wrightorchid

I need to clean it off again and determine where it's leaking.  I don't think it is the welch plug plug or the breather, although I guess it is possible.  

Not sure if I have the short or long dip stick, but is from 1986.   Based on the document, it looks like 1 pint is the difference between low and high.  

The oil monitor switch died a long time ago.

gwest_ca

The M12 engines were not used until the 1987 tractor models which started in late 1986. Sometimes the Kohler dipstick part numbers are stamped on the stick.

Garry

wrightorchid

I had the numbers on my computer at one time, but the serial number and model have faded, so I don't have the specific year anymore.  I The deck and the tractor are not the same years, just don't remember which is which.  Maybe 1992 on tractor and 1986 on the deck.  It is definitely a magnum 12.  I'll check the stick and see.

Either way, thanks for your help.