steelsmith

Model 400 Suburban

steelsmith

My first post and I'm asking for help , My wife and I picked up a model 400  suburban for our soon to be three year old Grandson. Now my wife wants me to get a set of rear fenders for it.

Been looking for some time now with no luck. So that brings me to asking for some help, where would be a good place to start /try  to get some funders?

If I had a good photo of the finders I could go from there and make a set.

I work in a small machine shop and the boss lets us use the equipment when things are slow, So I know that I can made finders if I had something to work from.

When we got the 400 home it had a running 2 1/2 hp B&S that was smoking a little so I went ahead and replaced it with a new 3 hp Harbor Fright motor, then I made a new belt guard  and a new trailer hitch so it could pull a little cart we had .

This tractor is not going to be restored by me as it is something for the grandson and his farther to do someday( if they want ) right noe it is his yard toy to drive.

I want to thank you for your help and time .

Joe

• Like 5

JPWH

You can search 400 Suburban under images and see some. The fenders mount to a tool box. You can also place a wanted ad in the classifieds.

By the way  :WRS:.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

JC 1965

:WRS:

AMC RULES

Here, for reference...

the typical round hood :wh: under seat toolbox, and fenders. 

IMG_1664.JPG.d7fbc3f3d02e34d93d993aebe7ed8be1.JPG

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.e6aed8d7f5d2355e904d37afa6fed420.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.515fdfc28c58895c0125d362a451778c.png

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:               The suburban is a cute run around :wh:, but very light in the front end. You may want to consider adding a good deal of front weight and a pair of wheelie bars to keep your son and grandson safe.

59c8e1627edc3_Suburban010.JPG.678a86955cf823f6b6fca7ed58927951.JPG

59c8e17fea98d_Suburban005.JPG.28a9c1ff95c45b3e4c1064a8dde73857.JPG

If you make your own rear fenders it might be good to extend them forward to serve as running boards to keep little legs away from the rear tires too.

• Like 6

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The suburban is a cute run around :wh:, but very light in the front end. You may want to consider adding a good deal of front weight and a pair of wheelie bars to keep your son and grandson safe

I agree with adding weight on the front. If you put it in third gear and aren't gentle with the clutch you can pop wheelies! Also I have a 401 (pretty much the same tractor) and I rolled it over me once when I was loading it on a trailer. I'm not trying to scare you, I just want to make sure you're safe! They are fun little tractors to run around on!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 4

953 nut
4 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

rolled it over me once when I was loading it on a trailer.

I think several of us have. I always back on to a trailer now.

• Like 2

jay bee

:text-yeahthat: There is a lot of good info in the previous posts.  I have also flipped a tractor over on myself while loading and witnessed another fellow do it also.  And we were the adults in the room!!!  You just have to be extra careful with the young ones on the tractor.  Things can go downhill in a heartbeat.  

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:   We're glad you're here...

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

steelsmith

Thank all of you for your replays and some great looking photo's, AMC Rules from what I can see in your photo you have a One Nice looking 400.

To say the 400 is lite in the front is a under statement, found out when I loaded it for the trip home.

My grand son is not yet 3 years old but he does a good job of driving , will post a clip once I get aroundtoit. There yard is safe in 1st gear and at a slow walk( he does have fun)

After getting a good look at the finders I don't think I want to try making a set of the round ones, could make a set of flat top finder/running board one pice set up like I did for My cub cadet 123 long frame. But I will post a wanted add here first .

Thank s once again for the welcomes and the photo's

Joe

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1