Red144runner

Showing the boy some culture today

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:          Keep up the good work, that father son bonding is priceless.       :woohoo:

• Excellent 1

Red144runner

Gets him out of the house, these kids need to see theirs more out there than iPhone and computer screens. My dad and uncle always had me and my cousins around trucks and saws and stuff. We still love all that today 

SylvanLakeWH

Lucky kid...Lucky Dad...

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

BaySide1

about 2 miles from my house. Did not get over there today. Too much to get done before the Pats game at 1pm.

• Excellent 1

6wheeler

I don't know who is luckier. I would say both of you. I drive a concrete truck. And, every time I am at a jobsight where children are present? They just get awestruck by the BIG trucks. He had to have a ball. I bought my first semi in 79. The same week I graduated high school. I love trucks. Old ones are the best. Those pics of those DM-800's and that Superliner were awesome:happy-jumpeveryone:... i also really like that GMC Astro 95:greetings-clappingyellow:. I had to rent one of these when my IH had to go in the shop. The windshields were so low on the bottom? You could see the drivers knees. I try to go to every truck show in my area. Old Macks and Internationals are my favorites.  Thanks again..     Take the little man to more shows.          Pat

Edited by 6wheeler
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

slim67

I was an owner/operator at  age 24 after driving for others starting at age 20. My first truck was a 79 Mack DM686SX that had a 20k front and 58K rears. It was invincible Mack quality to the core. I had 35 tons of gasoline soaked clay on it one time but not by my choice. The dumbass operator wasn't counting scoops. I remember when Superliners were the chit. Best looking truck Mack made as long as it had an inline and not one of their V-8s. I agree with 6wheeler that old trucks were trucks unlike the run of the mill Volvos and Freightliners of today. Pete and KW forever !  Thanks for the nice pics Red.

Bach-Ed

To Slim67 in particular but everyone in general.  I took a metallurgy class in the early eighties and  the instructor's main job was with IH.  He said that they were forced to contain costs.  Earlier they tried to make the truck as tough as possible, without being ridiculous.  But starting at that time they were designing the truck to be fine at it's rating but not a lot more.  If the tractor had a 80,000 gross rating and you consistently pulled 90,000, you should expect it to fail.  

• Excellent 1

slim67
2 hours ago, Bach-Ed said:

To Slim67 in particular but everyone in general.  I took a metallurgy class in the early eighties and  the instructor's main job was with IH.  He said that they were forced to contain costs.  Earlier they tried to make the truck as tough as possible, without being ridiculous.  But starting at that time they were designing the truck to be fine at it's rating but not a lot more.  If the tractor had a 80,000 gross rating and you consistently pulled 90,000, you should expect it to fail.  

A lot of it depends on how you spec a truck. IH made some severe duty trucks in their day. 80k GVW is the standard legally and usually results in a payload in the 25 ton range. Most tractors and straight trucks are capable of much more but now your overweight.

Sarge

Over the years when working on/off for a diesel shop I worked on a lot of those models - always appreciated the build quality and weight (ugh) of their parts . The newer stuff just doesn't compare but the fuel mileage is staggering versus what they got years ago . Worked construction most of my life as well and being a Laborer I get to see some crazy trucks - we generally have several antique trucks around here being worked every day and they are kept in top condition by their owners . That pride trickles down - I really enjoy working with those guys . It's crazy how many very old Macks are still in service , faithfully beating their owners like a dog but they refuse to die - so they're kept on the road and just get a new owner once in awhile . The heavy work they perform without fail or complaint for that many years is a real testament to how well they were built - not the fastest things on the job but always the most reliable despite some pretty bad neglect by some owners . Not sure where we'd be without Mack - they are such a staple in the Construction industry we'd be lost without them .

Sarge

c-series don

I remember as a kid when my family had the excavation business we had a single axle Brockway (gas job) and a non-detachable lowboy that would haul a cable operated Caterpillar D-7. I wonder what would happen if you tried that with a single axle tractor from today? Boy would I love to have that set up restored now! I remember parts of the cab were made out of wood. Anyway here is the truck I may have to drive at any given moment,for free!! She's not an antique(1995) but I refer to her as the pride of the fleet. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
On 9/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, Red144runner said:

Worcester sand and gravel has a truck show every year.

I didn't know this.

Very valuable info for us truck addicted peoples.

I'm originally from Athol and still have family there so maybe this'll be a roadtrip next year.

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.

We go up to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum show annually and my Father had the honor of meeting and talking with Mike Trotto last year. He was quite a guy.

Love the fact that you are introducing your boy to the big trucks!

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Excellent 1

Red144runner

Wow great stories! My intro to big trucks was in the early 80s. My dad would take me to the shop on weekends. Get to go for a ride in the IH "straight jobs". I rember being 4 or 5 asking him what that red button was on the gear shift? 30 years later nothing has 2 speed rears anymore.

I like the trucks and tractors as much as him I think. The older stuff is awesome. Overbuilt, easy to work on and a ton of character. New fiberglass, skirted cabs and auto trannies may get better mileage but as one who has operated those trucks that's alll they have on the older stuff (maybe more comfortable too). But the new diesels suck with choked up emissions, the trucks are ugly (imo) all look the same, good luck working on one, I doubt they will be on the road in 30 years and the auto trans make these trucks dogs. Hit a grade with any load and watch the speed drop 

• Like 3