formariz

Big Show idea?

formariz

As much as I enjoy the Big Show every year, I always felt that it is missing a bit of excitement and certain activities. Even though we all know the endless possibilities with these tractors,there should be in my opinion events to demonstrate not only the various tasks they can do, specially the more unusual ones, at same time displaying the many innovations members make.

Now, for the actual fun of it, last year I was watching Stevebo's son and Charlie do a tug of war with their tractors. Why cant we do something like that? That was a lot of fun to watch and it is even more fun to do. I am sure there would be many entries for it. Perhaps we can get something started here???

• Like 2

953 nut

You would have to run that idea through the Wheel Horse Collectors Club and their attorneys and insurance company. This is their show, not RedSquare's show. With the exception of a parade, driving events are a big liability insurance no-no!

• Like 3

formariz
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You would have to run that idea through the Wheel Horse Collectors Club and their attorneys and insurance company. This is their show, not RedSquare's show. With the exception of a parade, driving events are a big liability insurance no-no!

I realize all of the above. Just checking to see if there would be any interest out there.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Got any thoughts on this Eric? @ericj

formariz

I certainly don't think it would be any more risky than some of the night cruises I have witnessed, and I am sure it would do a lot for more and additional interest in event specially for the younger generation.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

All it would take is one good accident to make riding at the big :wh: show cease to happen.  

I'd really hate to see that part of our show go away.   :dunno:  Just sayin'  

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

jellyghost

The fear of liability is often more dangerous than accidents.

It's a bad habit to kill an idea with the fear of liability before the idea is flushed out and the risk is assessed.  What activity is being proposed?  What is the safest way to do that activity and still achieve the goal?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
3 hours ago, jellyghost said:

The fear of liability is often more dangerous than accidents.

It's a bad habit to kill an idea with the fear of liability before the idea is flushed out and the risk is assessed.  What activity is being proposed?  What is the safest way to do that activity and still achieve the goal?  

To keep it simple then and give the opportunity to everyone who wants to be involved I would say to start with just the tug-of-war. Of course it should be highly supervised and regulated.

• Like 2

tunahead72
2 hours ago, formariz said:

To keep it simple then and give the opportunity to everyone who wants to be involved I would say to start with just the tug-of-war. Of course it should be highly supervised and regulated.

Risk assessment, part 1:  Chains/straps/ropes can snap, possible danger to participants and spectators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

formariz
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

Risk assessment, part 1:  Chains/straps/ropes can snap, possible danger to participants and spectators.

Rule #1----Use dedicated specially fabricated heavy duty link chain with 3/8" steel cable intertwined through lings and permanently attached to end hooks along with chain.

Rule #2----Along with dedicated chain have all possibly necessary adapters to accommodate any tractor hitch.

Rule #3----Special area to be designated for event keeping all spectators at appropriate distances.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

CasualObserver

Now, now before we get carried away... everyone get their bubble suit.....

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ericj

we tried the tractor pulls  years ago when Charlie Culley and Tim Shue built there own sled. the problem was the fair board didn't want us to tearing up the ground. So that put an end to the tractor pulling at the big show.                                                                            end of story !!!!!!

not my opinion  just the way it is

eric j

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Rule #1----Use dedicated specially fabricated heavy duty link chain with 3/8" steel cable intertwined through lings and permanently attached to end hooks along with chain.

Rule #2----Along with dedicated chain have all possibly necessary adapters to accommodate any tractor hitch.

Rule #3----Special area to be designated for event keeping all spectators at appropriate distances.

Have you been in touch with this group?

http://new.wheelhorsecc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=5

formariz
2 minutes ago, ericj said:

we tried the tractor pulls  years ago when Charlie Culley and Tim Shue built there own sled. the problem was the fair board didn't want us to tearing up the ground. So that put an end to the tractor pulling at the big show.                                                                            end of story !!!!!!

not my opinion  just the way it is

eric j

We can do a tug-of-war on pavement!!

2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Not yet. Merely seeing what interest and enthusiasm there is out there for it for now.

• Like 1

ericj

the problem I see with tug of war is one of or both of the tractors rearing up and flipping over backwards, that would be a real possibility on black top. the tractors would either spin or if enough weight was on and they got a good bite one could flip. The one thing here nobody is thinking about or volunteering for is the man power to run such a thing, everybody is saying well supervised. the other year they talked about a tractor build off, couldn't get enough people to step up and say that they would do it. just saying lots of ideas but nobody willing to step uo to the plate and run it. this is why we don't have tractor games becuase nobody wants to run them. hopefully I didn't step on ant toes here but this is the way it's been in the past

eric j 

this  is just my opinion and not the board this would have to brought up before the board for a vote if enough interest came up

Edited by ericj
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

formariz
8 minutes ago, ericj said:

the problem I see with tug of war is one of or both of the tractors rearing up and flipping over backwards, that would be a real possibility on black top. the tractors would either spin or if enough weight was on and they got a good bite one could flip. The one thing here nobody is thinking about or volunteering for is the man power to run such a thing, everybody is saying well supervised. the other year they talked about a tractor build off, couldn't get enough people to step up and say that they would do it. just saying lots of ideas but nobody willing to step uo to the plate and run it. this is why we don't have tractor games becuase nobody wants to run them. hopefully I didn't step on ant toes here but this is the way it's been in the past

eric j 

this  is just my opinion and not the board this would have to brought up before the board for a vote if enough interest came up

To minimize that possibility one has to establish different categories of tractors and certain requirements on them so they are safe to do so.

As far as stepping up to the plate to run it that is part of the exploration of this idea also. Personally I am not in the habit of throwing fuel into a fire just to watch it burn and run away. I am sure that it will take more than one individual but barring health or other life issues you can count me in.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Well that blows my Chimmy Chonga stand and Ed dunking booth with ericj in his :wh: thong, Darn it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred

I think 953 know's what the next big show is gonna be like with this old clown around ;-)

953 nut
5 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

next big show is gonna be like with this old clown around

Between you, Howard @857 horse and Mike @squonk I expect there will be a nonstop conversation on random subjects! Looking forward to it.

• Haha 3

Big_Red_Fred

Hey Richard, whats this ? @953 nutIMG_04511.jpg.34c3e7145e302103f74929990eed3b38.jpg

953 nut
4 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Hey Richard, whats this ? @953 nutIMG_04511.jpg.34c3e7145e302103f74929990eed3b38.jpg

Looks like a 1054 money pit to me.     :ychain:    Are you planning on making this your "Big Show" idea?    :ROTF:

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Looks like a 1054 money pit to me.     :ychain:    Are you planning on making this your "Big Show" idea?    :ROTF:

Maybe hahaha

• Like 1

ericj

I heard the fair boards objection to tractor pulls, the story goes back in the late 60's or early 70's  they had tractor pulls on the grounds out in the open field till a tractor flipped over backwards and the driver was killed. so that was the rest of the story.

So with that be said I highly doubt that the fair board will wont or let any kind of pulling contest at all at the show

eric j

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

squonk
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Between you, Howard @857 horse and Mike @squonk I expect there will be a nonstop conversation on random subjects! Looking forward to it.

Did you know, licking door knobs is ilegal on other planets? :)

• Confused 3