BaySide1

WH 520-H 2 Stage SnowBlower Maintenance Questions

BaySide1

Hey Guys,

Doing some Maintenance on my 2 Stage snowblower ID # 0644SC01    60442  Ser# 9317

Problem # 1

Last winter Noticed that the Drive Pully on the Blower was wabbling

This spring when I took the belt off I noticed that the Keyway on the spindle and pulley was worn.

The Key ways actually rounded

The set screw in the pully to spindle was missing.

So, what is the easy/cheap fix that will solve this issue

Thinking of mig welding the pulley to the spindle.

How Stupid is that idea?

Problem #2

The scraper Blade is well worn. Should I try to find a new piece or weld something to it?

What would you guys do?

Thanks In Advance for taking the time to Respond,

Best Regards,

Kevin B

20170923_164750.jpg

WVHillbilly520H

I would try and find a new cutting/scraper edge unless you weld the new piece to the bottom there may be interference with the auger, as far as pulley and jack shaft, I would tear the gear box down and have a machine shop either make a new one or weld it up machine it to size and re-key it I would NOT weld the pulley to the shaft unless it was just long enough to finish out removal of blizzard, Jeff.

• Like 2

BaySide1
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I would try and find a new cutting/scraper edge unless you weld the new piece to the bottom there may be interference with the auger, as far as pulley and jack shaft, I would tear the gear box down and have a machine shop either make a new one or weld it up machine it to size and re-key it I would NOT weld the pulley to the shaft unless it was just long enough to finish out removal of blizzard, Jeff.

are there any rebuild kit available for these gear boxes?

I know a guy that can mill a new saft but he would probably charge about $100 and a new pulley is $54 from Toro.

Did I mention that I am cheap?

WVHillbilly520H

I'm cheap too but (fortunately) I'm a machinist and could do it myself, but as far as a rebuild kit for the gearbox I really have no idea, but on the flip side if there is not a lot of wear on that shaft a keyway could be cut 90°-180° from the original and with a new pulley with a set screw should fix that problem, Jeff.

• Like 1

roadapples

After removing the bearing, that keyway could be welded around a brass key like @Ed Kennell and others have done to axle shafts...

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Here is the post of the repair I made to an axle keyway.   However you decide to make the repair, I would also add a second set screw 90 degrees from the keyway.

Common size dive pulleys are available at TSC for about $20.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• gwood
      By gwood
      Question: I'm looking at the seat and decal drawing and could use an answer! Does the the seat spring or the adjusters go under the seat? It looks like the adjusters go directly under the seat and then the springs under the adjuster. If so, where does the spacer (110932) go?   The reason I ask is the seat is quit low and the back sets low making it hard for me to reach the brake/ return to neutral pedal.
    • Merl
      By Merl
      Newbie here and I have a 520-H that runs, but needs some TLC and some minor things fixed and/or adjusted. It comes with a like new tiller that I believe has only been used once and has paint still on the tines. I am the 2nd owner and I have personally never used the tiller. I am selling my previous home that I rent and where it has been stored. My current home's yard just isn't big enough to use a rider and I need to find a new home for it. I want to sell them together to simplify and I need them gone in the next 2 weeks. Please reach out with any questions and I'll do my best to answer. I am definitely not as knowledgeable as most of you on this forum, but figured somebody would like to fix it up, part it out and/or needs a tiller. Please email or text.

• M Robs
      By M Robs
      Hello - Last year I inherited a 1992 Wheel Horse 520-H Garden Tractor and several accessories. I was able to get it started at the end of last summer and drove it around a bit but I am now looking into get something better suited for my current situation. I have absolutely no idea what the tractor and accessories are worth and would love some ballpark numbers from those in the know. I've attached photos and would love any advice as to what I should try to sell these items for. Thanks so much! 
      The tractor is a 528-H model - 1992 
      289 hours on the hour meeter
      The mower is a Side Discharge Mower?
      48" Snow Dozer Blade - Part No. 810746R1
      36" Tiller

• r1jakecfd
      By r1jakecfd
      Hi Guys. 
      Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the impeller(blowed) on their 44” 2-Stage Snowblower bending on breaking? If so, did you repair it to the same specs or modify it to be stronger and less susceptible to damage?
      Also, is there another make/model or aftermarket impeller that will fit into this blower?
      Thanks as always for your great advice and input.
      Cheers,
      John 
      Essex, MA
    • qudrcps
      By qudrcps
      I recently started experiencing "bucking" on my 1997 520-H with the Eaton 1100 series transaxle.  This occurred after 500 hours of heavy use with the 60" mowing deck, with all transaxle oil changes performed per specs.  In reviewing causes of "bucking", I came across this for a similar complaint in a Simplicity 4711 that used the same transaxle.  ( simpletractors.com/forums/topic/7441-simplicity-4211-hydro-bucking-problem/ ).  One thought was that this was due to missing or loose bolts securing the transaxle to the frame.

This turned out to be precisely the reason for the "bucking" in mine.  One securing bolt replaced, all other securing bolts tightened (along with the engine bolts), and the Forward-Reverse lever/linkage adjusted and tightened, and the tractor is back to "usual".

It's just something to consider before the nightmare of a transaxle overhaul...