Sign in to follow this  
pacer

Need wiring diagrams for an unknown WH

pacer

I have just got a WH that I dont know what model it is --- and there is no S/N to be found (nothing on or around the seat)  It was advertised as a "314-8" but I question that. The hood decals show "415-8" but with an old style Kohler K321 (14hp) engine the "16" part is wrong - the K321 decal shows it is from 1986, but all pictures I can find of a 314-8 dont quite match up either...

The tractor had obviously sat outside for some time, the wiring while seemingly original is corroded badly and it appears to be complicated, with multiple safety switches - a wiring diagram is desperately needed!!

Heres a couple pics, hoping somebody will recognize it enough to give a guess as to the model.

IMG_3498.JPG.77af4d893e21ebe749a170433e6117c8.JPGIMG_3496.JPG.d5ae6e824c278aa7b885d3caf45d1ae8.JPGIMG_3495.JPG.1dcf58386f8076131aec6a964efaca4b.JPG

gwest_ca

Will the engine run for you? Reason I ask is some had a 3 amp charging system to charge the battery and the headlamps on those models will only work with the engine running. There was a separate stator for the lights.

See an ignition coil so it has battery ignition.

Is there a 3-wire voltage regulator in the blower housing on the carburetor side?

Look at the rear of the engine oil pan to see if it has a low oil switch.

What is the spec number on the engine decal?

The last year for the maroon hood decal was 1989. In 1990 they went to a black background.

Garry

• Excellent 2

pacer

Ah Garry, I knew you'd know at least something about this thing!!

The spec on eng is 60440 and with a S/N starting with 1609*** its an '86 (and is almost certainly original)

The hood is probably changed sinc the decal is 416-8

I got the engine running fairly easily  - quickly found the points glazed and then added a fuel source and it runs very well -- I didnt know about the regulator/3 wire/lights/oil sw stuff so will have to ck that...

gwest_ca

The K321S-60440 was used on the 1986 414-8 model number 31-14K801. Click on the fuzzy picture below.

The wiring in the huge Demystification guide for this model is wrong. It shows magneto ignition.

The link to the manual may not stick. Will watch and repost later if it doesn't.

Garry

• Excellent 2

pacer

Garry,

You've nailed it! Its apparently a 1986 414-8  :woohoo::text-thankyoublue:

And you were right, it has the 3 wire regulator and the oil pressure sw. If the wiring gets tooo hairy I might just rip it all out and go back with a basic bare bones harness, with a points ignition syst that is real simple.

I dont see the wiring manual ----

Thanks again

Bill Pace

g

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The wiring in the operator manual for the 414-8 shows a 3 amp charging system with no regulator so it does not match what you have. The battery ignition and low oil switch is shown. 

Many were not happy with the 3 amp system so perhaps a previous owner upgraded it to the 15 amp system with regulator.

Here is a link to the 523 page electrical manual. An excellent publication but the 414-8 diagrams are not correct.

Here is the one that is not correct

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1