farmall450diesel

520-H deck/520-HC deck

farmall450diesel

Hi everybody. I just signed up but I have been visiting Redsquare for years. I just bought a 520-H so I am new to wheel Horse tractors. I would like to change my smaller deck for a 60: deck and I found two decks both in excellent condition, one is from a 520-HC and the other is a standard 520-H deck, The HC deck has what I am calling anti scalp wheels on the front edges of the deck and the standard deck just has metal skids on each front side. My question is will the HC deck mount on my H? I like the adjustable wheel compared to the metal slides. Is there a difference in the metal thickness on the two decks? Any input would be appreciated. Eric

520hC-120

Pics would be great, if the deck is set up with the tach a matic system that wheel horse used and you have the tach a matic mid mount on the frame of your tractor it should fit, also you would need the mule drive (first pic) to make the deck functional 

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

Edited by 520hC-120

farmall450diesel
39 minutes ago, 520hC-120 said:

I do have everything that is in your pictures. I will post some pictures shortly. I would think the HC deck is the better option because of the front wheels. Eric Pics would be great, if the deck is set up with the tach a matic system that wheel horse used and you have the tach a matic mid mount on the frame of your tractor it should fit, also you would need the mule drive (first pic) to make the deck functional 

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

520hC-120

Ok

WVHillbilly520H

The 60" deck takes a "special" only for the 60" mule drive vs the smaller 42"-48" decks mule drive, and depending on hours and condition of of your 520H I would be concerned about running that big 60" vs a 48" deck, but yes as long as its 1990 or newer with swept forward front axle the 60" deck will work but not on the 88-89 straight axle versions, Jeff.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:   

That "special"  mule drive is spring loaded to keep tension on the deck drive belt.

farmall450diesel

Thank you for the replies. I have attached some pictures of the tractor that I bought. A little history on this. I bought it at an auction and this machine came from an upstate NY prison and I paid $320.00. The hour meter reads 12xx hours. It is rough but it starts and runs fine, seems to cut great without any smoke and the hydraulics work as they should. Cosmetically it can use a paint job. 

Can you tell from the pictures what type of front axle this one has. I can get more pictures if needed. I'm still hoping to get a 60" deck. 

Wheel Horse 1.jpg

Wheel Horse 2.jpg

Ed Kennell

Motion control on the steering column means it is 1990 or later which also means it should have the forward swept axle.

• Like 1

farmall450diesel

Sorry for all the questions. I attached two pictures, one is the front axle, is this a forward swept axle? I also attached a picture of the ID plate. The serial number is going to be a challenge. The tractor has a 48" deck now. Any thoughts on the HC deck with the wheels mounted on the front? I would think it is a better deck compared to the standard deck. I would like to find a two stage snow blower if anybody knows of one. Eric

Wheel horse 3.jpg

Wheel horse 4.jpg

WVHillbilly520H

It's the forward swept front axle but with 1200+ hrs I would still be leary of twisting a 60" deck, but that's not my decision, that 48" is plenty deck if you have  2 acres or less to mow, just my 2¢ for owning one since new in '98, good luck with your new :wh: ,Jeff. also the belt is in the wrong pulley on the engine PTO should be in the back one, the front where it is now is for the snow blower.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 1

cleat

The 60" deck with the front wheels is actually the newer deck.

The originals came with the skids and there was a kit available to upgrade to the wheels.

My 60" deck has the wheels and I like the ability to adjust them.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

farmall450diesel

Thanks for explaining why some decks have front wheels. Thanks for all the replies. One thing that I have noticed while mowing this weekend is the Onan cooling intake loves leaves.  

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

2 hours ago, farmall450diesel said:

One thing that I have noticed while mowing this weekend is the Onan cooling intake loves leaves.  

:text-yeahthat: And the excessive amount of heat they generate is the reason I only use twin cylinder tractors for winter duty.

The single Kohlers  seem more efficient in converting the fuel into HP instead of heat.   :twocents-02cents:

farmall450diesel
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat: And the excessive amount of heat they generate is the reason I only use twin cylinder tractors for winter duty.

The single Kohlers  seem more efficient in converting the fuel into HP instead of heat.   :twocents-02cents:

So it's safe to say this is why they added the louvers on the hoods. You would think they would have added some type of air duck work to the cooling intake just to get cleaner air away from the mower deck.

Ed Kennell

There are several posts on here showing added intake duct work....non of it very pretty.

DougC

If someone would invent a leaf shredder attachment for the air intake I would most likely be knocking on their door to buy one! :lol:

I bought a new cab for my 1100 hour 95 to use with winter duties and a rough old 88  with 1300 hours for mowing and lawn sweeper pulling. When the Onan blows up on the old one it will simply become a parts tractor for the 95 and Craigs list will consulted for my next summer :wh:

farmall450diesel

Here is an update. I bought and installed a 60" deck and used it today, I'm so glad I upgraded. I am happy that I found a deck with wheels on the front of the deck. I attached some pictures of the before and after. I do have a question, when I lift the deck it seems like it's not going up level. The front of the deck s higher then the rear, It's not level. I had the same thing happen on the 48" deck that came with the tractor. Any idea's. Now I need to replace the hood assembly. Eric

Wheel horse 5.jpg

Wheel horse 6.jpg

Wheel horse 7.jpg

Wheel horse 8.jpg

Edited by farmall450diesel

cleat

The manual should help you.

Cleat