formariz

Ready for Fall

varosd

lets see it in action!!

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, formariz said:

For the third year now, I am ready and looking forwards to Fall. Thanks to Oldredrider for the idea and inspiration. What was a nightmare job turned into something I actually look forwards to and enjoy. The ease and efficiency of this idea cuts job in a fraction of the time it used to take and makes for great seat time.

Not only another example of what is possible with these old machines but also of the talent , vision, and willingness of forum members to share their knowledge and experience.

IMG_0767.JPG.de3d9a67f9dced0580d2819d9552aa95.JPG

There's just nothing other to do than to LIKE that!

I run a blower just about that size to blow air into a building and I know first hand that blowers are FAR more efficient than fans for moving air.  I'm guessing it does a pretty good job as is so maybe it works so good now that no one would care but I think it would work even better with an angled plenum to the chute, rather than just the flat with the chute mounted in the center.  The smallest plate possible on the chute that then flared/angled to then mount on the sides of the blower outlet to reduce drag and turbulence.  Hope I'm saying that so it can be understood.  

• Like 1

formariz
5 hours ago, varosd said:

lets see it in action!!

When there is a substantial amount of leaves I will make a video of it. Oldredrider has a video of his but I cant find it.

4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I run a blower just about that size to blow air into a building and I know first hand that blowers are FAR more efficient than fans for moving air.  I'm guessing it does a pretty good job as is so maybe it works so good now that no one would care but I think it would work even better with an angled plenum to the chute, rather than just the flat with the chute mounted in the center.  The smallest plate possible on the chute that then flared/angled to then mount on the sides of the blower outlet to reduce drag and turbulence.  Hope I'm saying that so it can be understood.  

I understand what you are saying. Like you said, this thing is so good at it as it is that there is no need or the motivation to get any more carried away with it. I did not even go as far as Oldredrider did with his. I don't have a way to adjust chute from seat or an idler/tensioning wheel. I found when I first tried it since I always have to move leaves in the same direction that I do not need to move chute. I merely go forward and then backwards. Found that going backwards it blows through grass turning it in the opposite direction than forward pass, cleaning it 100% of any leaves or debris. Also with a little practice one is able to "herd" leaves very accurately going on reverse. It will actually move small 1" thick branches with leaves.  It also takes less than one minute to put it on or take it off.

Oldredrider's blower is actually a bit larger than mine so I imagine his is even more efficient. Since he has unit serial #1, I claim unit serial #2.:D

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Tankman

Looks great! Might become a future project for the grandsons. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

formariz  I do not mean to judge but is it a little front heavy? or is the Fan assy light in size. looks like it can move some leaves. Enjoy your seat time.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

Gilford wh

There is a co (jrco) that makes a carrier for walk behind blowers that can be mounted to zero turns. I'm sure It could be made to fit a horse

Ed Kennell

Another great WH adaptation.     Didn't someone start a thread to enter all these inventions , alterations  and improvements?

formariz
2 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

formariz  I do not mean to judge but is it a little front heavy? or is the Fan assy light in size. looks like it can move some leaves. Enjoy your seat time.

It is actually very light , I don't think the whole thing weigh 20Lbs. Perhaps the only drawback on the way I have mine as opposed to Oldredrider's is that mine floats using its own weight to tension belt, pretty much like a table saw motor. You cant go fast with it since it will bounce up and down and it may flip belt off. I have had a lot of practice with it however and that is not a problem to me plus you have to go rather slow anyway to give leaves enough "flight" time. Having it this way makes it also easier for me to remove it in less than a minute and very easy to store. I can also adjust the height of the whole thing if needed by sliding the blower back on the uni-strut and use a shorter belt. I use this tractor also to move a regular utility trailer filled with firewood and need to place another quick contraption I made in front to add weights to it so I can steer.

Added bonus is that the whole thing cost $10.00 for the blower and I think About $25.00 for the chute. The rest I had and it uses belts that I have in stock anyway for different mower decks.

2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Thanks Cas for the complements!

Couple of pics of the Original Whirled of Hurt.

Resized_20150621_175520.jpeg

Resized_20150621_175437.jpeg

I still remember the big smile on my face when I first saw it and let out a big OH YEAH!!!!

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

JC 1965

Very Nice, where did you get the blower ?  I could use one of those.     :thumbs2:

elcamino/wheelhorse

The blower looks like it came off a hot air furnace. Had something similar in the roof of my shed to move air for cooling. I saw the @oldredrider video and his really moves leaves.  I checked the price on the blower dolly and it cost more than the tractor I would mount it on . If I could only weld.

• Like 2

formariz

A lot of homes around here use forced air heating and furnaces use this type of blower. There are always a few on Craigslist.

squonk

Don't let a lady wearing a dress anywhere near that thing! :)

I worked in a shop and a guy had one of those going to blow some air around. The warranty clerk came down to ask him a question and well let's just say she got too close to the air intake! :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Whoops !

Seven year itch.jpg

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

oldredrider  Ok I am sold especially with the Adjustable shoot. Looks like you guys did a fine job. Did you have Terry make up the decals?

1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Whoops !

Seven year itch.jpg

Ed I have that movie some where collecting dust on VHS.

• Like 1

oldredrider

I made the decals at work. One of the few advantages of working at a printing company!

• Like 3

squonk

Intake boys Intake! That giant sucking sound you just heard is a dress going ;  WHOOMP!   :)

• Like 2

richmondred01

Now that is very cool.

AMC RULES
6 hours ago, squonk said:

WHOOMP!   :)

:think:  Here, I thought your Techy's were making that sound.   :dunno:

Jeff R.

Oldredrider,

Can you please send me a link to your YouTube channel.  I have been trying to find the video of whirled of hurt, however I have not been able to locate your video.  PM me if you would prefer.

thanks in advance.

Jeff