96WS6TA

onan crank trigger

96WS6TA

I have a 416h with the 16 onan   just pulled her for off for a carbon and gasket job. finally got her back together and started and purred like a kitten  20 sec later she dies, let her sit for a min or 2 and starts up runs and dies again..  new plugs wires fuel lines filter pump. now my buddies 20 onan was doin the exact same thing and we replaced the crank trigger and that was the problem. now is there any way to test the crank trigger? hate to spend all the $$ on a new one???

cleat

If it ran good before then I would check everything you touched and make sure you did not mess anything up.

For the trigger to fail at the exact time you de-carboned it seems like a real coincidence.

• Like 2

ericj
6 hours ago, 96WS6TA said:

I have a 416h with the 16 onan   just pulled her for off for a carbon and gasket job. finally got her back together and started and purred like a kitten  20 sec later she dies, let her sit for a min or 2 and starts up runs and dies again..  new plugs wires fuel lines filter pump. now my buddies 20 onan was doin the exact same thing and we replaced the crank trigger and that was the problem. now is there any way to test the crank trigger? hate to spend all the $$ on a new one???

check the onan service manual, basically turn switch on and put test leads on negative side of the battery and the negative side of the coil spin the motor over by hand, you may want to pull the plug wires off while doing this to prevent accidental starting, your voltage should go from battery 12 volts down to 1 1/2 volts and then back to 12 volts . you must do this when the motor quits and won't restart. I say you have either a fuel problem or possible a voltage issue getting to power the coil. you can run a jumper from the positive coil terminal to the positive battery terminal and see if ti stays running. good luck

eric j  

96WS6TA

fixed! it was in fact the crank trigger!   2nd one ive known to go bad

boomers_influence

96W

there is an ignition control, ( module ) and an ignition rotor.( on the crank )

which did you replace?

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )