TDF5G

REMOVING PAINT FROM LEATHER

TDF5G

My daughter got her first vehicle ('98 Chev Blazer) and we're doing some cleaning and detailing to the interior.  There's a patch of something that looks like black paint on the gray leather seat.  I did remove a very small spot with some lacquer thinner but I'm afraid to do a larger spot which will be more conspicuous.  Lacquer thinner just seems so harsh to put on a leather seat like that, although it did not take the color out of the seat.   

Has anyone had any experience with this or any suggestions maybe?

Thanks, Todd

CasualObserver

I've had success with stains on leather using a Mr. Clean magic eraser... but take that advice for what you paid for it! :dunno: Maybe @Ken B would have some suggestions... I believe he works with leather a lot?

• Like 1

TDF5G
27 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

This is very helpful.  We did try the eraser but I hadn't thought of nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol.  The spot on the seat is about the size of a baseball.  I really don't think it is latex paint, after trying many types of cleaners such as Tuff Stuff, 409, Orange Clean, bathroom tile cleaner etc.  I'm thinking it must be an oil based paint.  I just feel like we need a chemical that will dissolve it, but of course not harming the leather material.  

Thank you

DennisThornton

I'd be trying "OOPS" and "Goof Off".  If that doesn't work then paint stripper but applied directly to the paint only.  Most solvents will remove any oils in the leather but just treat that spot with more after removing the paint.  I wouldn't worry to much about any other form of damaging the leather other than drying it out of it's oils.  Leather is pretty tough stuff and used for that reason.

• Like 2

JAinVA

I found out that a product such as Castral Purple clean will eat any enamel paint over time.I use it all the time to strip paint from plastic models.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Castrol Purple has sodium hydroxide (lye) in it.  I'd be more concerned that it would harm the leather than methylene  chloride (paint stripper). 

TDF5G

Thanks again guys.  Hopefully we'll get back to work on it soon.  

I used to to build model cars and trucks, I'd use oven cleaner or brake fluid to strip car bodies for repainting.  Depending on the type of plastic it sometimes made it a little soft.  

Im not familiar with Castrol Purple, is that an oil additive or a cleaner chemical?

JAinVA

Come to think of it I have not seen Castrol Purple in some time.It is a degreaser.What I use now is Super Clean which is a degreaser and is available in the auto section at any WallyWorld.It may have lye in it as well.It will remove paint from plastic just by soaking and will do the same if left to long on metal with out rinsing.

TDF5G

I've not had a chance to get back to this project yet.  Thanks for the help.

I have used super clean on my tractors.  It cleans the grass from RD decks on the inside of the rear wheels very well.  It's very powerful stuff IMO but I find it leaves kind of a dull scum on parts that needs to be washed away after using it.

Sarge

Most good oils will break down paint - might just try Red Wing boot oil or similar . I know over time the paint that gets on my leather work boots comes off when I oil them down to keep them pliable and prevent cracking from working around all the different materials I get into on a daily basis .

Sarge

• Like 1

JPWH

I had a friend in the upholstery business that always used peanut butter to remove chewing gum and paint from material. Just coat the area with peanut butter and let it sit. The oil from the peanut butter will soak into the material and break the bond.

• Like 1

Freetown Fred

Oils seem to top the list. I've used plain old mineral oil.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I think that the comment "break the bond" is why oils work to remove paint from permeable substrates.  Oils will slowly penetrate beneath the hard dried paint and give the paint less and less to stick to while making the, in this case, leather more and more pliable.  So the substrate flexes and the hardened paint doesn't and slowly from the flexing the two part ways.  My 1.5 cents anyway...

1.5 more cents.  I'm trying to say, well pretty darned sure, that I don't think the oils chemically breakdown the dried/cured paints but it's a mechanical process that rids the substrate of the offending paint.  Oils that I'm familiar with  make very lousy paint strippers!  So a mechanical process rather than a chemical process of paint removal.

Edited by DennisThornton
2nd paragraph
  • Like 1

TDF5G

Dennis that makes sense.  Never thought about it that way.  I've always been of thought that the stain needs to be actually dissolved to remove it.  I understand what you're saying.  

We've been so busy here I've not had an opportunity to get back to the seat yet, after being out of town and now my daughter has been setting up to have a garage sale.  Hopefully I can try to work on it today.  

Again, thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.