TonyToro

Carburator help with the Raider 12

TonyToro

I have the raider running and she is pulling well for my son but it still seems to have a carb problem. The carb was cleaned and all settings back to factory and "tuned" from there. It idles perfect and runs smooth. It just doesn't like to start or quickly throttle up from idle. With the choke on from cold it will initial fire and dies.  It takes 4-5 fire on offs with the switch to get it to catch. Then once running it must be eased up with the throttle or it will die. 

We we are off in a few minutes to another fair to pull.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ed Kennell

Is the throttle plate shaft loose?  It could be sucking air in around the shaft .     With it running, spray it with carb cleaner.   If it speeds up, it is sucking air.

• Like 2

953 nut

Have you replaced the points and plug? 

• Like 1

TonyToro
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Have you replaced the points and plug? 

Yes new plug and points last weekend.

11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Is the throttle plate shaft loose?  It could be sucking air in around the shaft .     With it running, spray it with carb cleaner.   If it speeds up, it is sucking air.

Oh ok good tip. I will go try that after dinner.

thank you.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Digger 66
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

X-2 ^^^

TonyToro

Ok just got done working on it for the night. 

Spraying carb cleaner by the top of the shaft the engine slows down? Thoughts? 

The shaft has some play left right up and down.

Ed Kennell

Hmm,  they usually speed up.  But it is indicating you have air leaking in.    I would install a new shaft bushing or just replace the carb.   Are the jets set to spec?

Edited by Ed Kennell

Digger 66
8 hours ago, TonyToro said:

Spraying carb cleaner by the top of the shaft the engine slows down? Thoughts? 

The shaft has some play left right up and down.

Carburetor cleaner will kill the engine if it's entering the venturi . Starting fluid makes 'em speed up .

Speaking from memory , there's a bushing kit available that comes with a new throttle shaft and a bushing with an oversize O.D. that will correct this .

I did mine years ago but lost the before and after pics in the great computer meltdown . :(

• Like 3

squonk
3 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Carburetor cleaner will kill the engine if it's entering the venturi . Starting fluid makes 'em speed up .

Speaking from memory , there's a bushing kit available that comes with a new throttle shaft and a bushing with an oversize O.D. that will correct this .

I did mine years ago but lost the before and after pics in the great computer meltdown . :(

I have tried to buy that kit from several online vendors. Seems like they are always not in stock! :confusion-confused:

If any one has a source besides Brian Miller let me know. I'll buy you a hot dog at the show! :)

• Like 1

TonyToro
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hmm,  they usually speed up.  But it is indicating you have air leaking in.    I would install a new shaft bushing or just replace the carb.   Are the jets set to spec?

I am dropping the carb off to my local repair shop. His dad was an old time wheelhorse guy. He said he has NOS parts. I will have him clean it and do what it needs. 

Thanks for the tips to pin point.

18 minutes ago, squonk said:

I have tried to buy that kit from several online vendors. Seems like they are always not in stock! :confusion-confused:

If any one has a source besides Brian Miller let me know. I'll buy you a hot dog at the show! :)

When I go Monday I'll see what he has for WheelHorse parts. 

oldredrider

@Squonk, you can get carb bushings at True Value hardware stores. Hillman bushing #58087. Just double stack them. Most likely,  the throttle shaft will not need replacing.

I like my hot dogs loaded!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

@oldredriderwithout seeing these bushings yet, not sure what you mean by double stacking...

oldredrider

They are thinner than the Kohler bushings. Just use two of them stacked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuneup

I got mine at the blessed Ace Hardware. Two stacked and all the play is gone. Good luck!

• Like 4

953 nut
8 hours ago, oldredrider said:

double stack them. Most likely,  the throttle shaft will not need replacing.

:techie-eureka:    An oiled felt washer between the two bushings could help seal them.

• Like 2

TonyToro
9 hours ago, oldredrider said:

@Squonk, you can get carb bushings at True Value hardware stores. Hillman bushing #58087. Just double stack them. Most likely,  the throttle shaft will not need replacing.

I like my hot dogs loaded!

Oh no kidding. Ok I'll head there after work tomorrow. 

Thank you for that tip. I'll post up how it goes.

11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:techie-eureka:    An oiled felt washer between the two bushings could help seal them.

Ok I'll get those too. Are there going to be bushings on the top and bottom of the throttle shaft?

• Like 1

TonyToro

I installed 2 hillman bushings last night. Super easy. There was a rubber conical washer in there. Odd. It starts much better.

A little more time and all the bugs will be worked out.

Thank you guys for the tips.

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2640.PNG

Edited by TonyToro
  • Like 3