dlaw90

Getting Snowblower Prepped

dlaw90

I picked up a 42"snowblower this summer. The sticker is pretty faded but it looks like a model 06-42ST04. According to the guy i bought it from, it was working 3 years ago but has been sitting ever since his 312-8's engine died.  Winter is coming up quickly and I'm starting to think about preparing it for snow. I have a couple questions: 

Are there any parts i should inspect or change?

Are there any wear parts or other common parts i should buy to keep on hand?

Any tips or modifications that make these run better?

Ed Kennell

You have what is commonly referred to as a single stage short chute.   

Check for play in the chain.  With use, the links can stretch.   Look for the connector link and make sure it looks OK.   The chain itself can be tightened by adjusting the idler sprocket. 

Make sure the auger and all the bearings are free and have no radial play.   Check and tighten the set screws in the drive pulley and sprocket on the jack shaft. 

Check the belt tensioning spring.  It should tighten the belt so you only have about 1/2" deflection with slight pressure.

Check the chute rotator cable and replace if it is worn or twisted badly.  I have successfully  used  heavy string trimmer line to replace cables.

If all is OK, I would keep a spare belt and a spare chain connector link where you can find them when the blizzard arrives.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Those spare parts can move before the storm hits so put them in a giant bag marked with fluorescent tape! :)

• Like 3

doc724

One other part to get is a spare spring that goes on the side of the blower and keeps the tension on the belt.  If it breaks, you are dead in the (frozen) water.

I agree with Squonk, spare parts have legs.  I have a box for ALL spare parts.  That way I have only one "go to" place.  Of course that does not help when I forget to put the spare parts in the spare part box!

dlaw90
On 9/21/2017 at 10:18 PM, Ed Kennell said:

You have what is commonly referred to as a single stage short chute.   

Check for play in the chain.  With use, the links can stretch.   Look for the connector link and make sure it looks OK.   The chain itself can be tightened by adjusting the idler sprocket. 

Make sure the auger and all the bearings are free and have no radial play.   Check and tighten the set screws in the drive pulley and sprocket on the jack shaft. 

Check the belt tensioning spring.  It should tighten the belt so you only have about 1/2" deflection with slight pressure.

Check the chute rotator cable and replace if it is worn or twisted badly.  I have successfully  used  heavy string trimmer line to replace cables.

If all is OK, I would keep a spare belt and a spare chain connector link where you can find them when the blizzard arrives.

Thanks Ed. Sorry it took so long to get back online. It's been a little crazy trying to fit in all the projects I had planned for summer in before the weather turns. I finally got a chance to check out the snowblower yesterday. It seems like there isn't much play in any of the bearings. Everything turns but is definitely in need of some oil/grease. The chute rotator cable has seen better days, so I have a replacement on the way.

I'm not sure what to look for on the connector link. It looks OK to me, but I have never closely inspected a chain. Can you tell anything from this picture:

Connector Link Photo

Is it worth keeping an entire spare chain? The cost of the OEM replacement chain was a little shocking.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:30 AM, squonk said:

Those spare parts can move before the storm hits so put them in a giant bag marked with fluorescent tape! :)

On 9/23/2017 at 10:45 AM, doc724 said:

One other part to get is a spare spring that goes on the side of the blower and keeps the tension on the belt.  If it breaks, you are dead in the (frozen) water.

I agree with Squonk, spare parts have legs.  I have a box for ALL spare parts.  That way I have only one "go to" place.  Of course that does not help when I forget to put the spare parts in the spare part box!

I learned that one the hard way. Last year the extra shear pins for my walk behind snowblower ended up hiding from me in a box of nails :bitch:

Ed Kennell

I don't see anything wrong with the link, but I would keep a couple in the parts bag.   Yes, the chain and sprockets are in dire need of lubrication.   TSC may have the chain priced per foot.

If the chain is not stretched or the links corroded so bad that they are locked together, the lube should save the chain.