drewd

can't pull front wheel off!

drewd

I'm working on the 416-8 I picked up a few weeks ago.  I need to replace the front tires so went to pull the rims.  One rim came right off as it should but the other will not budge.  I have removed the grease fitting and been filling it with WD40 for several days.  I have WD40 coming out through the bearing pretty well now.  I found a piece of tubing that fit over the axle perfectly and with a piece of wood over it pounded on it a bit hoping to break it loose but it just doesn't budge. The wheel that is frozen to the axle does hold air.  My next thought was to repair the other tire and just put the cotter pin to give some room on the frozen one and drive it around a bit in hopes that it will free itself once warmed up some with to pressure of turning, etc.        Any ideas on getting this thing off??  Thanks!!

• Like 1

hondagod64

I would use something besides WD 40 for one and add some heat , even if it's from propane. If all fails then I would destroy the bearings in the rim to remove the wheel and replace bearings after the is replaced. 

My 2 cents....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Is there room to get a bearing splitter between the wheel hub and spindle flange?

7542121-21.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

Chances are the bearing is bad in the hub and has worn a groove into the axle. Your local auto parts store can loan you a "Pickle Fork Separator" that can be driven between the spindle and hub to force it off. Another option would be to remove the spindle from the axle and use a hydraulic press to get it off.

Image result for pickle fork

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

drewd

Thank you guys. There is no space for the splitter but the fork should work.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

WHX??

I like Richard's option  to take it off the axle and get it up on the bench.  Either way you have to fix it or it will come back to haunt you....good luck. 

• Like 1

drewd

Thanks!  After playing around with this for a while and not have all the tools I came to the same conclusion and removed the assembly from the axle.  Will remove and replace the bearings on both front wheels as there is very little sign of grease anywhere! Thanks again everyone!  This will be a nice tractor with a little TLC!

• Like 2

drewd

I noticed that the parts lists shows two different bearings for the front wheels.  Either 107124 Flanged bearing or 110513 bearing.  The bearings on mine are not flanged and I assume that is the way it came.  There is a big cost difference so I was going to go with the 110513.  Just wanted to check if there were opinions on this or if I'm fine with the non flanged less expensive bearing?  Thanks!

WHX??

Either one will work. they are a common 1 3/8 od x 3/4 id  and should be flanged. Google 110513 bearing and you will have them coming out your ears for cheap. Speaking of cheap do watch that a little as some are pretty flimsy & low quality  and come from guess where? :lol: if they are sealed both side don't worry pick the inner seal out before installing. They do come pre-greased which is fine for a trailer queen but for a worker you'll want to be able to give them a shot of grease via that zerk you should find on the rim hub.

71JZnRq3orL__SL1500_.jpg

Edited by WHX12
speeling
  • Like 4

953 nut
3 hours ago, drewd said:

I noticed that the parts lists shows two different bearings for the front wheels.  Either 107124 Flanged bearing or 110513 bearing.  The bearings on mine are not flanged and I assume that is the way it came.  There is a big cost difference so I was going to go with the 110513.  Just wanted to check if there were opinions on this or if I'm fine with the non flanged less expensive bearing?  Thanks!

Check these out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Sealed-Wheel-Bearings-Toro-Wheel-Horse-Garden-Lawn-Tractor-110513-25-1210/271993019474?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l264

• Excellent 1

drewd

Thanks again guys!  Mine are flanged after all.  I knocked one out (on the wheel I could get off the axle) and they are flanged.  Thanks for the tip on picking the inner seal off if one is in place.  I do grease my equipment and this will be a worker!  Also, thanks for all your info on pricing.  I had looked them up on Jacks Small Engines and unless I was seeing things the flanged bearings were expensive. 

• Like 1

WHX??

If they are Toro yes they are quite proud of them. Doesn't mean you have to shop ther tho. Richard's link is a good one so consider ther. Get an extra set for the shelf after all ALL bearings were designed to be worn out! Ya get some extra time drewd we do like our :text-coolphotos: !

BTW you get them bearings off clean up the spindles with some fine emery cloth and clean up the rim bores and while you have them off maybe a shot of paint. Check those zerks they can plug up. You might already know all that just making sure the bases are covered. :)

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 1

drewd

Thanks, all the info helps! Prices are all over the place so it's good to hear from those that have experience with these.  I'll go with Richard's suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Firebug

I had a lot of trouble getting the rear wheels off my d 200. I ended up getting a harbor freight bottle jack and a piece of 4x4. With one side still on I used the jack and wood to push the wheel off from the back side. Put the wheel back on and used it to push the other one off. It did take 3 hands to do it but it was fairly quick once I started putting pressure on it with the jack

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

953 NUT / Richard:  That Ball Joint fork is my old standby tool on a lot of Wheel Horse Pulley, Wheel and other removel tasks!       A Best Buy at a Garage Sale or yard sale!  My dad paid $5  for the one I have several years ago at a Swap Meet.

Keep on the look out for one of  those Wheel Horse owners!

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

953 nut
17 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

dad paid $5  for the one I have several years ago

I probably paid a bit more for mine, but that was 50 years ago.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Firebug said:

I had a lot of trouble getting the rear wheels off my d 200. I ended up getting a harbor freight bottle jack and a piece of 4x4. With one side still on I used the jack and wood to push the wheel off from the back side. Put the wheel back on and used it to push the other one off. It did take 3 hands to do it but it was fairly quick once I started putting pressure on it with the jack

A few years back, I used this method to remove the rear wheels from a F-250 that had been used a couple times a week to launch a 25 ' cruiser in salt water.

I was glad I left the lug nuts loose but in place with a full thread.   If I hadn't, that tire and wheel would have destroyed the fender and me when it popped loose.    :scared-eek:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firebug

That could have been bad. Luckily mine didn't pop like that

• Like 1

drewd

Well guys, I got the wheel off and knock out the bearings.  The bearings on my rims are the larger outside diameter 107124.  The only ones I have been able to find online are selling for $75 or 80 EACH!!  New/old Toro stock.  Does anyone have a source for these that is reasonable?  Or should I try and find some rims that use the 3/4x1.3/8 110513 bearing?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated! 

• Like 1

doc724

I am hard to believe that your wheel bearings are not standard sized.  WH has been using these standards as far back as the late 1970's (which is when I bought my first WH).  The wheel bearings do have a flange on one side to keep you from pressing them in too far.  See the pix posted by WHX12 in this thread on Sep 21.   As long as you have 3/4 axles and 1.375 in wheels, the standards should work just fine

drewd

If you look at the parts list they do show two different bearings.  Number 110513 the smaller one you are referring to & 107124 the larger one I have on this new tractor.  If you look 107124 it up online they come up as Toro new/old stock at very high price point. I actually bought the ones posted in this thread and will keep them for my 800 Commando. 

drewd

Here a pic of the larger bearing I punched out of the rim and a 110513 bearing.  Guess I am unlucky and the tractor I just picked up uses the larger bearing!

WH Bearings.jpg

drewd

Finally had time to remove the stuck wheel from the shaft.  Made up a homemade press with a small bottle jack.  Worked great!  Now, I'll look for new rims that take the smaller, standard bearings.59d36ce932dd1_HomemadePress.jpg.5c8d7eafba8bba2a463e802a2c6e208b.jpg

• Like 1