Joeputz

Can anyone help identify my horse?

Joeputz

Hi guys, Im new to the sight and probably asking an annoying question that many before me have as well, but my grandfather left me an old wheel horse as a project to restore. I got told it was a 1961 but I dont know which model. I checked all over for a serial number but I cant seem to find anything. Looking at pictures On google and here on the sight I think its a 1961 401. I have bought parts that corespond with a 401 but I dont know if anything I have is right. I know the motors wrong its off a go kart. I did buy a kohler k91 motor that Im redoing for the tractor it seams like thats the motor everyone uses on any tractor that looks like mine. Some help identifying the model would be great so I have a better idea what im shopping for :) thanks guys

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7169.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

Joe :WRS:  Lots help here. Enjoy the site.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Joeputz

Thanks guys for the welcomes. Another hopefully quick question does that transmission seem right for my horse. I bought a 3 piece transmission because I thought thats what would be more period correct. If not ill save it for maybe another project. Thanks for the quick replies :) 

953 nut

:WRS:          The :wh: your grandfather gave you is a 1961 model 551. The 401 would have the model 5010 transmission (ALA a three piece) The transmission you have is a 5007 which was the first of the cast iron two piece transaxle cases. The original engine would have been a 5.5 HP Lauson model H55D. Unless you are obsessed with originality the Kohler K91 will be fine. Hope you will share the project with us.

Thanks for all the :text-coolphotos:

• Like 6

Joeputz

Great thank you for the quick response on it being a 551 model. Im glad at least now I know what model number parts to chase down :) Once I get all the parts together ill try to post a few completed pics. Thanks so much for the help

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Richard nailed it...551 and the 2 piece transmission is correct.  Welcome to Red Square  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Nice Project. good luck with it.

KC9KAS

@Joeputz :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

WHX??

:WRS:and thanks for the :text-coolphotos:

Looks like you got a real survivor there so have fun with it.

Give us a shout if you need help.... the folks here love to help but we do like our pics!

Chris G

Very nice suburban ya got and best of luck with the restoration!