MirandaB

Need Recommended WH Models for Plowing (fields), Tilling, Cultivating, and Disking

MirandaB

Hello Everyone,

I have a D-180 with a Brantly 603A backhoe that I recently purchased.  It is my only Wheel Horse.  I would like to get a second tractor to be used for working a large garden plot with various implements. I am looking for suggestions as to which geared (non-hydro) drive models would be appropriate.  I would prefer the capability to mount a 3-point hitch.  Do any of you Wheel Horse ninjas have any recommendations for me?  

Thanks,

Miranda

Edited by MirandaB

Digger 66

Welcome to the board bud .

Achto

:WRS:  I would look for a tractor with a 10hp or larger engine. Finding a gear driven :wh: with hydraulic lift is not very common, gear drive with three point would be even less common. I agree that gear drive is better for ground engagement implements, but the larger hydro's such as your D series will work well also. If you don't already have 3 point implements. A Brinly sleeve hitch added to a :wh: will allow you to use a number of ground engagement tools.

• Like 2

Skipper

I would say a C series. One of the bigger ones. I would not be afraid of using a hydro for it. The C-195 could be found with 3pt hitch. but if you do not need 3pt, and could settle with a "normal" hitch, and do not want to fabricate a 3pt yopur self, then a 14 or 16 hp C series will be OK I think. Those you can have in hydro or 8 speed. I like the older C series over the newer 3,4 and 5 series, because they are simpler, less electronics to break etc.

If you do a bit of looking into it, and get a hydro with the 1 1/8" axles, and an Eaton 1100 hydro unit, it could plow away all day long i believe. Keep it with regular oil changes, also the gear and hydro, and it should last a good long time.

Go as big as you can on engine. Better to have a big engine loafing around unstrained, that a small one that just exactly will do the job. I guess it is obvious which one holds up the best ;-)

Just my :twocents-02cents:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

midpack

I have a 417 with gear drive and electric lift! love the combo.

plus, the engine doesn't have to be running to move the lift arm up and down when you're swapping attachments, just turn the key

As far as more electronics to break... the only problem I've had so far was with a 300 series Magnum 12. The low oil sensor was malfunctioning so i just disconnected it.

Aldon

You could go with 953 or 1054.

both have hydraulic lift and are gear drive.

the GT14 could be had with 3 point. It was however Hydro only.

electric lift would work and with some ingenuity added to most any of them.

I would go bigger cuz I just do that:-) So minimum I'd go is 12hp

• Like 3

MirandaB

Thank you ALL for offering your expertise.  It will certainly go a long way toward helping me avoid making any really expensive mistakes.  Of course, individual results may vary ;)

• Like 4