CountryRock

246-H Voltage Regulator Question

CountryRock

I was doing some reading on the Extreme Power Equipment performance PTO clutches, and they require 13.4 to 14 volts.  I checked my voltage output at the battery while the engine is running and I get 16 volts at just above half throttle and a bit over 17 volts at full throttle.  Is this an issue with the voltage regulator or something else?  I want to make sure that I have the proper voltage output so I don't fry the new clutch when I get it in the spring.

WHX??

Regulator is fried guy Country ...don't mess around and just replace it. They are 20 bucks on amazon. This reg is known for over charging and won't hurt the clutch and won't help it but will boil your battery. If the headlights pulse at full throttle and the battery is sufficiently  charged its a dead giveaway that the reg is toast. You will love that clutch as I just put one on my 246 daily mower and they are 500% improvement over the stock one. No bone jarring engagement, positive lockup and quiet and cool running.Plus way less $$ that the OEM Warner.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

CountryRock

Put the new regulator in today.  Good to go now.  Nice even 14 volts while running.  Didn't want to take a chance on blowing the battery up from overcharging.

WHX??

Bet it took you all of 2 minutes to change out too! Good to hear it fixed the problem. when you get around to installing that clutch follow their instructions to the T and give them a call if you have questions. They have excellent customer service.

CountryRock

A little longer.  I made sure the main ground was nice and clean too.

I watched some videos on installing those clutches, very particular method of doing it.

Edited by CountryRock