CountryRock

Wheel Horse 246-H Update

CountryRock

I've been mowing most of the season with this rig and it's been a great little tractor.  New belts, spark plugs, oil/filter, air filter, led headlights and assorted deck parts were installed.  I cleaned all the debris that was packed around the  cylinder heads. About a month ago I found a 244-H parts rig and it had the right size deck to replace my ratty one. A little bit newer model deck, but it fits.  Had to weld up a few cracks on it, a little fresh paint and transfer the new parts from the old deck to the new one.  I just tested it out and it's perfect.  Could not be happier.  I'll be finishing out the season with it in its current shape.  Next spring I'll be getting new tires and a new pto clutch for it 

IMG_20170917_141908029_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Red144runner

Tough looking tractor

• Thanks 1

squonk

you'd be surprised what those 200 series tractors are capable of! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 2

muz123

Thats one sharp looking 200 series!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Love it!

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Welcome to the 246H club. Probably just you and I are members tho! While it's not exactly a bucket list tractor by any stretch a nice mower all around and very dependable if taken car of.  Briggs twin 18 hp. has plenty of power and always starts easy. Manuals can be found here if you don't have them.

a few shots of mine.

20150824_110030.jpg

20150824_110047.jpg

20150824_110212.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

CountryRock
37 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Welcome to the 246H club. Probably just you and I are members tho! While it's not exactly a bucket list tractor by any stretch a nice mower all around and very dependable if taken car of.  Briggs twin 18 hp. has plenty of power and always starts easy. Manuals can be found here if you don't have them.

a few shots of mine.

20150824_110030.jpg

20150824_110047.jpg

20150824_110212.jpg

Thanks.  I got all the manuals back in May when I got the tractor.  That should be 16hp, not 18hp 

• Excellent 1

WHX??

My bad :hide: I've, only owned it for 20 years! I meant to say it performs like an 18!

• Like 2

CountryRock

Yea, quite an impressive little power plant.

Vinylguy

I need a 246-H owner to test out this kit for me. 

I know they are not real popular for collectors but I have had requests a couple times a year for these.

I finally was able to get the artwork done for this hood.I will gladly send this kit to someone willing to test for fit.

Biggest concern is the front decal to see if I have the proper positioning for the headlights.

5a1cc5fb43adf_246-H2017WEB.thumb.png.47f80665ee9fa24ae0097d11021a74cc.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

Don't get no respect! 

But at least some should! 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

@Vinylguy

What can I do to help? 

WHX??

Did you ever get someone to test it out for you Terry? I can but my orginals are in pretty decent shape.

CountryRock

I fired the tractor up today after sitting in the garage all winter.  Started right up with no issues.  Put all new viton fuel lines on it in the fall.  Going to check and adjust the valve clearance on it, replace the tires and the pto clutch very soon.  I ordered the xtreme outdoor power equipment clutch today.  Tires will likely be ordered in a few weeks.  I also need to fix the steering on it as there is a ton of slop.  I'll be pulling the steering shaft and other parts from a 244H I picked up for parts last august.  Looking forward to mowing season.

• Like 2

Vinylguy

5ac0f9f11d162_246-H2017fronthooddecalwithheadlightcutouts.png.cceb2067d0d1fe74a2140aeddc89c669.png

On 12/7/2017 at 6:20 AM, WHX16 said:

Did you ever get someone to test it out for you Terry? I can but my orginals are in pretty decent shape.

Sorry I  missed you post about this. I did get a front headlight panel and Made a template but the clearances are so close around the huge headlight lenses 

that it is difficult  if not impossible to align this decal perfectly. In fact the original decal on my headlight bezel was far from positioned perfectly from the factory.

Might be easier to trim out the headlights after installing the decal.

5ac0f9748523b_246-H2017fronthooddecal.png.7af96e70930b14191f625f7ca4bbb23a.png

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CountryRock

Ok, this will be a bit of a long post.  Back in April I discovered I needed to do headwork on this right when I went to adjust the valves on it while readying it for mowing.  Exhaust guide on cylinder 1 walked out enough to smash the pushrod.  I reset the exhaust guides on both heads, lapped the valves and put it together with new gaskets all around.  Runs like a clock now. 

In the past weekend I installed new Carlisle tires and a new Xtreme outdoor power equipment PTO clutch.  Greased everything up and ran it around the yard a little while ago.  It's good to be mowing again after the garbage winter we had.  Enjoy a few pics.

IMG_20180506_170434514_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180506_170535843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180506_170453427.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

I got that same clutch for my 246 ...runs great, smooth engage and quiet..Make sure you follow Xtreme instructions and call them if you got issues ...very good customer service. Way over underrated tractor as far as I'm concerned.  One of my main mowers. 600 + hours on the Briggs and never fails me. 

Tires look nice!

Edited by WHX17
  • Excellent 1

CountryRock

About 650 hours on this one.  The clutch does seem quite smooth.  I imagine it will get better as I use it.

Sparky

So I gotta ask....what is that next to the starter that looks like a birds nest? And what's right above the exhaust in your pic?

image.jpeg

CountryRock
17 minutes ago, Sparky said:

So I gotta ask....what is that next to the starter that looks like a birds nest? And what's right above the exhaust in your pic?

image.jpeg

That is some heat-proof fabric that is wrapped around the fuel lines and some wiring.

CountryRock

Did the first mostly full mowing with it today.  I could tell right off that it performs much better in the longer grass with the new clutch.  No bogging down like it did with the old one.  Very pleased with that.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Yes and engagement is much smoother.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, CountryRock said:

That is some heat-proof fabric that is wrapped around the fuel lines and some wiring.

Mine doesn't have any thing in that area like yours. Have to get some pics

CountryRock

Added the fabric ourselves.  Mainly on the fuel lines.  The only wires there are the voltage regulator wires and pto clutch wire.

CountryRock
8 hours ago, WHX17 said:

Mine doesn't have any thing in that area like yours. Have to get some pics

Here's a close up.

IMG_20180509_235638016.jpg

Vinylguy

Got a 246-H headlight bezel from A-Ztractor

After several tests and adjustments to the template I have been able to complete the 1990 246 hood sets.

Even though the vertical shaft tractors are not popular for restoring I have had a few requests.

This is everything I have for the 246-H so far

1985636432_246-Hkit.jpg.4b6d728e63dec951cb9afb4e34cb3feb.jpg

401645500_246-Hheadlightbezelldecal.jpg.394767bd51784466883d9b25386e88f8.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mdunfeeyj

Anyone have issues with voltage regulator on the 246H. My voltage meter is reading high for the last two weeks and yesterday my pto went out . No reading with ohm meter, also seams as if my pto switch also went bad at the same time no voltage at the plug but battery voltage is good and  regulator lets it go high at times pretty much pegging the on board meter at times. I shut it down when it gets high so I dont ruin the battery. Thought maybe it caused the pto to smoke not sure how sensitive they are .