Vintner

Brand new here. Don't know if this is the correct place in this forum for this question. Recently bought a large piece of property out in the country. Found a refurbished WH on craigslist for a good price w/the attachments I was looking for. My first big problem is that I'm pretty sure the prior owner painted over the model & serial # sticker when he was refurbishing it. I tried a bit of paint thinner, but that ate away everything that was written on the sticker.

This is the first lawn tractor/riding mower I've ever owned, so please forgive my ignorance. I don't know what info is needed to help me come close to what year it is. It has a 10hp Kohler engine. The gas tank is under the seat. A mule drive. I has a rear discharge deck, but I'm not sure this is original.  When you're sitting on the tractor, the sticker I mentioned is on the left side of the frame under the flywheel to the motor. On the front of the left axle there's a very small metal plate (1/2" x 3/4") it's painted over, but I'm pretty sure it has "901v" stamped onto it.

I will try to get it out of my dark basement & get some pix up when it stops raining.

• Like 5

AMC RULES

One simple pict posted here...

will probably do it for you.   :wwp:

:WRS:

welcomewagon.gif.f37742b92e2f015c6cfc2f75c8984ff5.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.c60a40d13f7aa498646ef0ce0dd4c436.png

520hC-120

:wwp:

:WRS:

Edited by 520hC-120

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

stevasaurus

1st...Welcome to Red Square    :occasion-xmas:      I just have to venture a guess based on the information available...

10 hp Kohler with gas tank under the seat...I think that eliminates all of the B-100s...which also eliminates all of the autos...has to be a manual 8 speed transmission.

It almost has to be a C-101 or a C-105  C-101's are 1978/1979.  C-105's are 1980 to 1984 (as far as my list goes).

Pictures will tell.

953 nut

:WRS:       Could be a 310 8 speed or hydro. Take a look at these and see if it resembles one.

medium.HPIM1765.JPG.6e920ed3a898e3cc082af08fb849d865.JPG

medium.IMG_2517.JPG.3fdb688a0210df8e9ed856fdce8a6a22.JPG

• Like 1

Vintner

Thanks for the welcomes! ;-) What exactly do you want a pic of? Yes it's an 8 speed. Sorry I forgot to include that in my 1st post, though IDK what hydro means.

IMG_0704.JPG

Edited by Vintner
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

If that is a picture of your tractor , it is a 310-8 with I think a 42 inch rear discharge deck. Hydro means an automatic transmission. Look on the motor and see if there is a tag with a serial number . That may help with identifying the year . Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

1985-1993  the 310-8 was made so yours will be one of those years.

Close ups of the dash  and sides of tractor may help get closer to the exact year

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Vintner:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

stevasaurus

See Vintner...I knew I would pull these guys out of the wood work.  :ROTF:   Know that I did say my lists only went to 1984.  We sometimes have a lot of fun trying to figure out what horse somebody has.  Yours does look like a nice one...again...Welcome to Red Square.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Quite honestly...I did not think anything newer then 1984 would need to be repainted.  :think:  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

520hC-120

Definitely a 310-8, looks like a nice tractor

Vintner

Thanks for all the help & support! I did not think to use the numbers off the engine. Good idea! I'll try to get closer pix of the dash & sides as well.

Vintner

The on line kohler owners manual says my engine was made in 1986.

I'll try to get some better pix in the sunlight tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help. Wish someone would lend Aaron Rogers a hand tonight. :-(

P_20170917_225120.jpg

P_20170917_225152.jpg

• Like 1

tunahead72

Yours does look like a 1986 310-8, although the decal on the hood isn't original.  If you can find a model number on it, it will be 21-10K802 or 21-10K803.  You'll find some photos here:

I'm curious about the sticker and plate you mentioned, can you get close-up photos?  I don't know if I've ever noticed them in those locations on mine.  The original tractor sticker would have been near the seat, I forget where exactly, but I can look at my manual later.  Do you see a sticker on the mower deck?

Aaron Rodgers is a very successful highly paid NFL quarterback who used to date Olivia Munn, he doesn't need my help. :)

• Like 1

gwest_ca

An engine manufactured in 1986 could have landed on a 1986 or 1987 model tractor.

1986 was the first year for the low oil switch in the rear of the oil pan. The K-Series engines were used in 1986 10hp and larger. Tractor model 21-10K802 or 03. 02 likely made by Wheel Horse and 03 made by Toro. 1986 was the year company ownership changed.

1987 was the first year for the M-Series of engines 10hp and larger. Tractor model 21-10K804.

Corrected the tractor model numbers

Garry

• Like 3

Vintner

Better dash pix. You notice there is no engine hours meter. & IDK what the little toggle labeled "test" under the choke is for.

The 4th pic is the little tag I mentioned earlier on the arm that goes out to the left front tire. Now that I'm seeing it in daylight, I think it's upside down & actually reads "4706"? 

The last pic is the label that was painted over on the frame of the mower under the fly wheel of the engine.

There is a label for model & serial # on the deck.

There is nothing resembling a label anywhere near or around the seat.

P_20170918_101258.jpg

P_20170918_101325.jpg

P_20170918_101503.jpg

P_20170918_101415.jpg

P_20170918_101340.jpg

Edited by Vintner
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

See an ignition coil on the back side of the blower housing making the engine a K241.

Tractor model 21-10K802 or 21-10K803

02 likely made by Wheel Horse

03 likely made by Toro

1986 was the year company ownership changed.

Corrected the model numbers

This is the revised operator manual for 1986 with the correct engine oil capacities. Click on the pictures below.

Not the best parts list but all we have

Garry

• Like 1

tunahead72

The hour meter was an option on the 310-8.

The "test" switch is used to test the low oil indicator light, which is the red "engine oil" light to the right and just below the switch.  As long as the battery is connected, the light should come on when you toggle the switch up.  It's spring loaded, so it should return back down by itself.

The label under the engine is I believe for the mid-mount hitch.  Does it look like it reads "Tach-a-matic"?

I don't know what to think of the tag on the front axle (the "arm" that you referred to).  I don't see one on my 310-8, maybe it's a manufacturing date stamp or something. :dunno:

The tractor ID plate would be located at the front of the rear fender, just below the seat, directly behind the gear shift lever.

Vintner

Thanks for that info TunaHead. The label on the frame under the engine is smeared beyond recognition from trying to get the paint off. I've been over this machine with a fine tooth comb. There is nothing else on it resembling a model * serial # label or plate except for the one on the mower deck.