Sign in to follow this  
whtractors24

Wheel horse radio

whtractors24

Anyone have pictures of there wheel horse radio mounted ? Like to see mounts etc 

DougC

My Wheel horse radio mounted is a $35 set of Stanley hearing protector am-fm stereo headphones and I use them when I mow and when I have the cab on for snow removal in the winter. A very satisfying and cost effective method of entertainment while getting some seat time..............:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hcminis

It's not actually attached as didn't have the heart to drill holes in any of my tractor hoods. 

20170828_200559.jpg

20170828_200357.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

I've often wondered if you could actually hear one of those while the engine is running...? Cool accessory though - does anyone know who made them ? Looks like a few other tractor radios that were available for the larger farm equipment...

Sarge

CasualObserver
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

does anyone know who made them ?

Bendix.

radio2.JPG

radio1.JPG

radio3.JPG

Not shown in the diagram is that you were supposed to also use a RF shield under the hood to cut out (or more likely down) the electric interference from the engine.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

EricF

I always liked how similar radios were usually mounted on one of the fenders of the big farm tractors of the same era. And yes, you could hear them even over the engine of a big Farmall turbo diesel!

They're basically the same AM radio circuit and amplifier that was supplied to the automakers of the time -- it drove a big 6" x 9" speaker and the sound was biased toward the middle frequencies that are easiest to hear anyway. Which is why you could still hear the AM radio loud and clear at 60MPH with the windows down in a non-air-conditioned 1960s or -70s car... :)

• Excellent 1

Sarge

Cool info - that explains the holes in the one of the round hood tractors I had years ago....can't imagine doing that to any tractor I have today .

Sarge