953 nut

520 club members!

953 nut

If you are a 520 club member and post a question be aware that only the other 21 members of the club can respond and provide input. 

• Like 2

Achto

I was wondering about that.:think:

• Sad 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I was wondering about that.:think:

matching the engine pulley in size, this would turn the pump at a full 3600RPMs. I know some other brands use a direct drive to their hydro pumps. I'm wondering if the increased RPMs would harm the Eaton pump?

I don't think it will harm the pump, it will spin the fan a bit faster which should improve cooling. As I understand it, it won't make the transmission turn the wheels any faster though.   :confusion-confused:

Ed Kennell

Image result for eaton transmission pump curve

Does this help?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell Well Ed what ever that is , you left me behind with the first column . Can you xplain to us dummies ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Achto

:text-yeahthat:  @Ed Kennell Here is my thoughts - If I set the speed control lever wide open and leave it alone, I can change ground speed by increasing or decreasing the engine speed. So my theory is - increasing pump RPMs should increase ground speed.

Ed Kennell

I could not confirm  if the above chart applies to the eaton 1100.   But if it is , it is clear this pump is designed with a max RPM of 3K and performance drops off above 3K.

I can tell you that all hydraulic machines ie. boat propellers, hydraulic turbines , and pumps have a well defined safe operating range.  If this range is exceeded, cavitation will occur causing a loss in performance and the possibility of severe pitting damage  to metal parts near the cavitation.     

I would recommend calling Eaton for information before increasing the RPM of the pump.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I have a question about the club. If I want to start a topic where do I start it? I only find club stuff if there is already a topic going. Like this one for example. I only found it because I saw it in the recent topic column.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Scroll up, top of the page Mike...

see in the header, click on "clubs"...

in there, scroll over "520 Club" ...and then, the red "520 specific tab" 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/172-520-specific/

...there you'll see the red ..."start new topic" tab.  

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, squonk said:

question about the club. If I want to start a topic where do I start it?

@Achto had posted the question regarding the pulley size change, but I was unable to reply to it because I am not a 520 Club member. I started a post and cut and pasted his question into my post so we common folks could reply. 

:twocents-02cents:        This "Club" thing has a few wrinkles to be worked out. Here is the post that I am referring to. It has been up ten hours longer than this post but no one was able to reply unless they were a "Club Member" even though it is nor a 520 only subject.

• Like 3

Jerry77

It seems to me that cutting out a portion of the club members from wheel horse discussions is counter-productive...If  I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, I can still learn and enjoy the discussion..What is the purpose of a splinter group..?...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat:  @Ed Kennell Here is my thoughts - If I set the speed control lever wide open and leave it alone, I can change ground speed by increasing or decreasing the engine speed. So my theory is - increasing pump RPMs should increase ground speed.

Up to a point. It has been a LONG time since my Fluid Dynamics classes, but as I recall it when fluid speed increases there comes a point at which flow goes from laminar (in a straight line) to turbulent, at this point the turbulent flow actually apposes the applied force as seen in @Ed Kennell chart.

All of us motor heads had thought that if we removed the thermostat from the engine in a water cooled engine the increased flow would provide better cooling, but it didn't because the coolant moved to fast through the radiator to allow for heat transfer to occur. But, that is the study of thermodynamics;  and that can be a very heated subject.   :ychain:

9 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

It seems to me that cutting out a portion of the club members from wheel horse discussions is counter-productive...If  I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, I can still learn and enjoy the discussion..What is the purpose of a splinter group..?...:twocents-02cents:

anen.jpg.31196c9647e47914b3263205b1b93cc5.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

thermodynamics;  and that can be a very heated subject.

ooooooooo..... that's baaaadddd

• Haha 3

Searcher60
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

"All of us motor heads had thought that if we removed the thermostat from the engine in a water cooled engine the increased flow would provide better cooling, but it didn't because the coolant moved to fast through the radiator to allow for heat transfer to occur."

That statement is wrong, and actually is backwards. A thermostat is there to decrease warm up time and maintain a steady engine temperature in all ambient conditions, regardless of speed, or engine load. Using your statement, a vehicle might overheat if the thermost stuck open or was removed. The total BTU cooling capacity of a radiator would be the same with or without a thermostat.

• Confused 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

That statement is wrong, and actually is backwards. A thermostat is there to decrease warm up time and maintain a steady engine temperature in all ambient conditions, regardless of speed, or engine load. Using your statement, a vehicle might overheat if the thermost stuck open or was removed. The total BTU cooling capacity of a radiator would be the same with or without a thermostat.

I know what a thermostat is for!

People would remove the thermostat with the intention of gaining increased coolant flow and enhanced cooling. This was a fallacy because the flow rate would exceed laminar rates and become turbulent. What was needed to allow proper coolant flow was a restricting orifice in place of the thermostat.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Sorry Searcher but Richard is correct. They even sold different sized thermostat replacment orifices to get the maximum  power out of an engine without cooking it.  And I have seen engines overheat because there was no stat or orifice in place

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

Does that mean I can't read anything about a 520h because I don't have one now. I had a vary nice one and sold it.

so I should at least be able to peek at the post. 

Or does that make me a has been ???

Or a wanna be has been ???

I'm confused I think I'll take a nap

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I know what a nap is for!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

does that make me a has been ???

Or a wanna be has been ???

At least you owned one once, I am a never has been and probably never will be!       :ychain:

• Haha 3

Ed Kennell

:text-nocomment:                       :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Searcher60
5 hours ago, squonk said:

Sorry Searcher but Richard is correct. They even sold different sized thermostat replacment orifices to get the maximum  power out of an engine without cooking it.  And I have seen engines overheat because there was no stat or orifice in place

i am not sorry, you are both wrong.  Back up what you say with documentation. I did large commercial HVAC service for 25 years. You people do not have a clue about heat exchangers and coolant flow thru them. 

AMC RULES

:blink:   Uh...oh!

Here we go!    :greetings-clapyellow:

Related image

bth_smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif.1e28c803ca2bbfbc40aaa339eb8a1199.gif

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell

http://machineryequipmentonline.com/hvac-machinery/hydraulic-turbinescavitation-in-hydraulic-turbines/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Pump+Cavitation&FORM=RESTAB

Just a sample of what can happen when a pump or turbine  is operated outside it's design flow and/or pressure range.

• Like 5

squonk
42 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:blink:   Uh...oh!

Here we go!    :greetings-clapyellow:

Related image

bth_smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif.1e28c803ca2bbfbc40aaa339eb8a1199.gif

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013.gif.47cdbce004314691d6bd8759d8045cb7.gifBBBBWWWAAAHHHHAAAAHHHAAAA!!!!!! smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013.gif.47cdbce004314691d6bd8759d8045cb7.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Racinbob

I just stumbled on to this thread and the first thing I read was about the thermostat. So.....I'm thinking thermostat on a 520!!!! When did Wheel Horse make a water cooled 520? I was thinking 'COOL'., I wamma see one. Then I read back and realized the error of my ways :wacko:.

I definitely agree about the no stat can overheat. It's been years but I've been there. :)

• Like 1