Jim Demery

Overcrowded garage

Jim Demery

I have a small problem with my garage being a little too full of tractors every fall. This year my plan is to build a rack big enough to store 4 tractors on the floor with room for 4 more overhead. 

20170828_215619.jpg

1 minute ago, Jim Demery said:

I have a small problem with my garage being a little too full of tractors every fall. This year my plan is to build a rack big enough to store 4 tractors on the floor with room for 4 more overhead. 

20170828_215619.jpg

If anyone on Redsquare has anything like that already in service, pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 4

RedRanger

Same issue here.  :lol:

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:    If you got one of these you could deck it and put several garden tractors on it, raise it up and lower it as needed.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

Image result for backyard buddy

• Like 4

Jim Demery
1 minute ago, RedRanger said:

Same issue here.  :lol:

When I get mine built, I will post pictures of it on this site. 

1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:    If you got one of these you could deck it and put several garden tractors on it, raise it up and lower it as needed.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

Image result for backyard buddy

That's a great idea. Problem is that I don't have room for anything that big. It'll have to be like 15ft long x 6ft deep and 4ft of the floor. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevebo Please send @Jim Demery a picture of your wall of tractors.

• Like 2

stevebo

I had this in my garage prior to building the barn. It has since been removed to get momma's car in the garage...

IMG_4642.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Jim Demery
44 minutes ago, stevebo said:

I had this in my garage prior to building the barn. It has since been removed to get momma's car in the garage...

IMG_4642.JPG

That's exactly what I had in mind. How did you get the the tractors on the top shelf in your garage? I'm assuming that like me, you only have 8ft ceilings, so no room for a forklift. 

stevebo

This lift. 

IMG_2839.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

prondzy
3 hours ago, Jim Demery said:

This year my plan is to build a rack big enough to store 4 tractors on the floor with room for 4 more overhead. 

20170828_215619.jpg

I like your thinking, but if your anything like me your "empty" floor space will fill up with good deals!:ROTF:

• Like 4

Jim Demery
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

This lift. 

IMG_2839.JPG

Where can I get one of those lifts?

26 minutes ago, prondzy said:

I like your thinking, but if your anything like me your "empty" floor space will fill up with good deals!:ROTF:

Nope, got to have room for the wife's car!:bitch:

• Haha 1

stevebo

This is an old lift that I got from a friend. Keep surfing craigslist for something similar. This lift is really nice because I can use it as a work platform or lift. 

• Like 3

Jim Demery
23 minutes ago, stevebo said:

This is an old lift that I got from a friend. Keep surfing craigslist for something similar. This lift is really nice because I can use it as a work platform or lift. 

Thanks so much for all of your help! :text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

image.png.4f49f939bc51e5c187876789e2609a5e.png    This little lift is a High Position Motorcycle lift that some of us have to work on our tractors. You could copy the construction of it and Harbor freight sells a 3 ton and 8 ton long ram jack for their engine hoist. I have been think of modifying  one of their engine hoists and essentially making it into a larger version of this little lift Of course one of the requirements would be a modular kit that would allow the engine hoist to be converted back and forth from an engine hoist/ tractor lift. I have little doubt that a fabrication genius from this forum could come up with something using at least part of the engine hoist as the platform and adding a kit to turn it in to a larger version of the 30" motorcycle lift.

BTW, i use that little motorcycle lift a lot while working on my tractors

image.png.0b9ffb9013bac68aed339177b3f8c572.png

Edited by ohiofarmer

953 nut
9 hours ago, Jim Demery said:

Where can I get one of those lifts?

Here is a Grainger listing for one. They are used by air conditioning contractors for setting units that need to be suspended from a ceiling.

https://www.grainger.com/product/PRESTO-LIFTS-Manual-Lift-16X838?breadcrumbCatId=1000434&functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Looks like a lift for removing engines from autos 

ohiofarmer

HGR is a surplus machinery company in Cleveland. I went to their site and searched "portable cable lift

" and came up with these.https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle&from&to&markdowns&newarrivals&sort&kw=Portable Cable Lift&per_page=24&min_price&max_price&pn=1&search_type&last_chance

You may or may not get good information from the salesman you call. Your best bet is to make your picks from the info provided and go to the manufacturer web site for info.. If you buy something electric, make sure that you know whether or not it is 3 Phase, because a lot of the stuff comes from factories.

I bought a Southworth lift table from HGR and have never seen a more suitable motorcycle lift and work table at any price. i have about 500.00 in it including my repairs and a new one would be 3700.00 or so.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 9/14/2017 at 6:13 PM, stevebo said:

It has since been removed to get momma's car in the garage...

A wise move there....

On 9/14/2017 at 7:03 PM, Jim Demery said:

How did you get the the tractors on the top shelf in your garage?

Eat a BUNCH o' Wheaties and think happy thoughts.....:ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thor27
On 9/14/2017 at 3:13 PM, stevebo said:

IMG_4642.JPG

@stevebo Sorry to drag this off topic, but how are you getting that gloss on petina, boiled linsead oil?

stevebo
7 hours ago, Thor27 said:

@stevebo Sorry to drag this off topic, but how are you getting that gloss on petina, boiled linsead oil?

They were wiped with oil...

• Thanks 1

RedPaul

For anyone searching for a lift similar the one Stevebo has look up 'Walkie Stacker'  they are made in both electric and manual models.  Our Iron Workers use them to hoist steel, particularly in rehab work in areas where the floor will not support a forklift or a mini cane.  Be careful if you are looking at duct hoists like the mechanical contractors use.  They generally are rigged with 1/4" cable and have a narrower base and much lower load limits.