OnehorseShy

Advice on a purchase

OnehorseShy

Hello all!  I am going to look at a WheelHorse c160 this weekend, but before I do, I felt like I should consult you Oracles for advice.  I've read much of your posts here and you guys are obviously the experts with the Wheelhorse.  First I will show you what I am looking at, then I will share my I plan to use it for.  I'd like your opinions on the tractor, my thinking on my intended uses, and any critiques or advice you might give to a person in my situation.

First, here's a link to Craigslist what I am looking at:  https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/grd/d/77-wheel-horse-garden-tractor/6291885054.html

It wasn't until I did some searching on this tractor that I realized how cool Wheel horses are.  I have no experience with any garden tractor and only recently felt like I needed one.

I recently bought 30 acres of mostly pasture land that I will renovate for hay fields. I plan to contract out the renovation on about 29 acres. The reason I need the tractor is to mow about 1 acre of common areas that are not all together - there is a loop around a couple of ponds, a few areas in and around trees, and a little road around the perimeter of the property.  I am also going to need to spray these common areas, and we'll eventually cultivate a small garden.

I was thinking this Wheel Horse would be fun to own and do the jobs intended.  I could also see myself restoring this tractor as a project in the winters for me and my 2 girls to work on.  I expect to get my hands dirty with some repairs, but I am ok with that.

My questions are:

1.  Is it a good deal?

2.  Is my thinking sound on the intended uses?

3.  Do you see anything I am misguided on?

4.  Other opinions?

Thanks!!!!!!

AMC RULES

953 nut

:WRS:        That looks like a super deal. A cast Iron Kohler and an eight speed manual transmission will take on anything you can throw at it. I love the idea the you will have your daughters involved in the project.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

The price is right and you better grab it before someone beats you to it.

00i0i_dWqLapQcB4M_1200x900.jpg

1977 Wheel Horse C-160, 8-speed, 16 hp Kohler that runs strong, no-smoke...new battery, tie rod, blades. $500 Cash Only.

Like Craig said, posting the link is a no-no, but you can copy text and photos which I just did for you.

• Excellent 1

OnehorseShy
953 Nut, I appreciate the advice and information.  Very sorry for the link post.  Won't happen again.  I am looking forward to buying the tractor and visting/contributing to the site as a new member.  Thanks again!!!
cleardot.gif
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

As noted, and as your new to site, we can't link to CL or other sites.

So 1st, welcome to the forum.

2nd, C160 is a preferred tractor for their strength and durability and this one looks well cared for considering its age and environment.

3rd If that tractor was elsewhere it would sell for more easily. But make sure you fire it up and that it truly does not smoke or have engine knock.

4th, easily will handle mowing. You will need both a furough (plow) and tiller Implements to garden efficiently but the tractor will easily handle them.

again, welcome and good luck 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

oliver2-44

I saw that one recently, very nice. Check it out , p ice probable has a little room for haggling.  Get it if it looks good so I'm not tempted:woohoo:    After all it's on;y 4 hours from me:auto-dirtbike:.  

Wheel Horses and their attachments are in a little short supply in Texas, but over time I've seen most things come up for sale.

Bring it to the Tractor Show in Temple Tx Oct 7th.  Some of us will be there and it's one of the biggest shows in Texas.  

Before you run it check the transmission to make sure it's not full of water. (dip stick is under the seat.) 

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WHX??

:WRS:

Don't sweat the link thing......but if it happens again we come git your tractors! :lol::ychain:

• Haha 2

OnehorseShy

You guys are awesome.  Thanks for all the advice and hospitality.  Saturday is the big day!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

That 16hp will throw you off the back of that racing striped seat if you pot the clutch

.  Splurge on a high back seat from Norther Tool or Tractor Supply and you will really really love that tractor.  Enjoy making it your own :woohoo:  The madness begins

Searcher60

Check that the hubs are tight on the rear axles. Check trans fluid for water. Get Kohler engine warmed up and listen for unusual noises at idle very carefully. Offer him $300, and work from there. Not sure those are the right size rear tires????