dkg520

Input seal C160 transmission

dkg520

What is the best way to remove and install the input seal on my 1975 C-160 8 speed transmission?  Thank you

rmaynard

I remove the pulley, then take a dental pick or small 1/8" flat screwdriver with the end bent into a hook, slip it between the shaft and the rubber seal and pull. Once out, clean the shaft and remove any burrs from the Woodruff key slot, clean the recessed area thoroughly, put a little oil on the shaft, and slide the new seal into place. Using a piece of CPVC pipe or a deep socket that will fit over the shaft, tap the seal until it is flush with the case.

• Like 2

Searcher60

I would use the OEM Toro WH seal for this. I had the metal case replacement non-OEM seal leak for no reason. No problem with the genuine Toro seal. 

dkg520

Thanks for all your suggestions.

rmaynard

I'm of the opposite opinion on the Toro seals. They are made of plastic. Seals from my local Napa store are made from stainless steel. I've had leaking with the Toro and none with the steel ones. Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Racinbob

It's likely that a new seal that leaks was caused by something a bit off with the installation. Possibly a burr damaged it or it wasn't seated properly. I use a appropriately sized fender washer over the shaft and then a length of pipe to tap it in. You'll feel when the washer meets the case and the seal will be perfectly flush. :)

• Like 2

Searcher60

I like the genuine Toro seal and have never had any new seal leak in 46 years of installing seals, until this one. I do not like the cheap Communist China slave labor metal seals with zero rubber coating. Besides, if you don't buy anything from Toro, how long are they going to support Wheel Horse? I stand by my original comment.

Edited by Searcher60