Skipper

Limited Slip Diff and big tires

Skipper

Hi

I need your opinion and experience.

I want to do a C-195 restomod project. It will end up being a totally restored tractor, to be used with a D series tiller, and an FEL.

The C-195 runs on 15" rears, with 27" tires. It is to my knowledge not born with LSD rear end. My plan is to "upgrade" it to LSD for better FEL performance. However, I have come across several posts where people say they break easily, and the std 8 pinion rear is much better. Since it probably is the same LSD being used on all WH, I'm thinking bigger tires will increase strain on it way past its design?.

Tire wise I want to go to at least 29", and as wide as possible, or if it will fit, the 31" option 15.5" wide is my choice. Fully loaded and added weights, it will have a lot of traction.

What do you say.

Can I fit 31" tires? Yes I know I have to make custom rims out of blanks and centers, and yes, I can do a bit of fabrication. Yes I know I will probably have to raise the front also.

Would the LSD be good for this, or should I stick with the original c-195 stuff.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The LTD was used in Charger/Raiders and a few others.  14 hp max.  The LTD is created by a spring inside the pinions.  In many the spring has weakened and no longer provides much Limited Slip.  I wouldn't do it for the vary heavy duty use you are considering.  First issue would be to find a differential that still had a good spring...Might be hard in Europe. 

• Like 2

953 nut

The C-195 uses the "D" type hubs and should be able to be adapted for turning brakes which would serve you will.    :twocents-02cents:    I would not want to go too big on the tire size on a loader tractor, you will be raising the center of gravity and making it less stable.

• Like 2

Skipper
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The C-195 uses the "D" type hubs and should be able to be adapted for turning brakes which would serve you will.    :twocents-02cents:    I would not want to go too big on the tire size on a loader tractor, you will be raising the center of gravity and making it less stable.

That is why I'm also making it wider, hense the wide tires. I may raise it 2", but I make it at least 10-15" wider on the rear, and a bit on the front too.

The turning brakes is a super good idea!

The looks of a tractor with really wide rears is just so nice in my eyes. That's why i want them. ;-)

Edited by Skipper

Skipper

Perhaps I could use the rear from the D series. That has the diff lock as far as I remember.

953 nut
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Perhaps I could use the rear from the D series. That has the diff lock as far as I remember.

Your C-195 has the engine crank shaft running across the frame, on a "D" the crank shaft is in line with the frame. Nothing is impossible, but that would require a LOT of fabrication.

• Like 2

Skipper

Yes I know, but the D series rear has the diff lock ;-), so might be worth a try. And if the turning brakes should follow over, it might just turn out to be the easiest way. ?

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

JC 1965

I love big tires on  :wh:  tractors, Bigger the better.  I could be wrong but you might want to rethink the use of the LSD trans. If you tear one down and see how that spring ring thingy works. I just don't know if it would hold against those big tires.   :twocents-02cents:   You have to make that decision so good luck with whatever you decide and please keep us updated with lots of photos.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Only the D250s had a differential lock

• Like 1

Skipper

I have talked to a couple of gear gurues also, and I think it is best to forget about the LSD rear end. 

So now I need to figure out if the D-250 rear is a beast, or also has problems, because that I will not be able to find parts for. Guess I could perhaps adapt the whole transmission system over to the c-195.

Anyone know if the D-250 tranny setup is strong, or prone to faults?

The D-250 newer came as a hydro did it?

Thanks

• Like 2