RedPower47

11 hp briggs

RedPower47

ok guys I have a c-111 that has an 11 hp briggs (I am not a fan of briggs at all and never have been, just never had luck with them) but anyways when I idle up the tractor its blows some smoke and hesitates to idle up but it will after a second. I completely went through the carb and rebuilt it, everything Is adjusted right, also I put a new fuel line and filter. Any ideas?

953 nut

:WRS:     Have you replaced the ignition points and condenser? They can give you similar symptoms to a fuel problem. The are located behind the fly wheel and seldom receive any attention.

• Like 2

RedPower47

ya know I didn't even think of that, thank you

oldredrider

If it has the Magnetron ignition,  it won't have points. B&S changed ignition in the early 80's.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

These small engines are not like the big ones that have an accelerator pump to richen the inrush of air when the throttle is cracked open.

They do seem to do OK if the low speed mixture is slightly richer than the best low rpm setting. Try 1/8 of a turn richer and if it does not respond give it another 1/8 turn.

Garry

• Like 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, oldredrider said:

If it has the Magnetron ignition,  it won't have points. B&S changed ignition in the early 80's.

The manual shows points.

oldredrider

This post was "Just in case"  the engine had been relaced with a newer model. A '78, '79 would have the points and condenser. 

• Like 1

RedPower47

953 nut, I checked the points and they don't look bad, I cleaned them up a little just In case and the gap is correct, also the condenser looks new, theres no cracking around the boot where the wire comes from so I don't think any moisture got in it. But it still hesitates to throttle up at first and it still smoking, good ole briggs.

• Like 1