cafoose

removing headlight bulbs

cafoose

Does anyone know how I can easily remove the bulbs in this headlight assembly? :confusion-confused: I've been soaking it in kroil for a couple weeks now and they won't budge. :rant2:

lights.jpg

• Confused 2

oldredrider

Try white vinegar. It hates rust. Cheap too.

• Like 7

N3PUY

The bulbs won't just turn .... they need to be pushed down a little to unlock them.  So it's push down and turn.  If that doesn't work just turn the glass part until it separates from from its brass base.  Then take a small screwdriver or such and bend the brass base inwards until it's loose from the socket.  That should do it. 

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

BaySide1

push down and turn a 1/4 turn.

If the glass breaks use a pair of needle nose pliers and grab

the edge-twisting it out.

• Like 5

cafoose
32 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

The bulbs won't just turn .... they need to be pushed down a little to unlock them

6 minutes ago, BaySide1 said:

push down and turn a 1/4 turn.

Yes I know that they won't push down at all I will try vinegar

47 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Try white vinegar. It hates rust. Cheap too.

• Like 1

Aldon

Excellent link @953 nut

ive been making due by saving the round fiber board piece and repurposing fuse holder sets for the single contacts.

I saw on the forum a good long while back that Napa also sells replacement.

Maybe our site Napa guru @squonk can point the way to a part number...

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@cafoose You may want to wear a good pair of gloves when you try pushing down & turning the bulb. A tight grip on a bulb when it breaks really hurts when the glass has to be dug out of your fingers!

Personally, I would just break the glass and use a needle nose pliers to bend/turn the brass base out of the socket.

I have purchased several single contact "pigtails" from NAPA in the past, as well as the springs & fiber washers.

• Like 3

19richie66

:text-yeahthat: been there, long time ago. Now I smack them and shove a straight screwdriver down into them and rotate them out. No rotation equals using a pick and bending the brass body as mentioned early and pulling out with needle nose pliers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

:text-thankyouyellow:Those are all excellent suggestions. Does anyone know of a good bulb such as an LED that would give it a stock appearance with a brighter light and that would last longer?:techie-idea: Does anyone reproduce the factory lenses?

19richie66

Superbright Led should have some. Not sure of any part numbers but they offer a few different kinds

KC9KAS
4 hours ago, cafoose said:

:text-thankyouyellow::techie-idea: Does anyone reproduce the factory lenses?

A couple of years ago I bought new lenses from a TORO dealer...They were still available at that time.

squonk

Socket guts, washer spring and contacts. Napa LS6227.

Autozone has nice led's. They are dome shaped. Not like the ones with the tiny little  bulbs all around. I think they are called Devo? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

cafoose
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Socket guts, washer spring and contacts. Napa LS6227.

Found it :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHLS6227

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/back-up-light-mini-bulb/zevo-led-back-up-light-mini-bulb/770356_0_1556?fromString=&make=&model=&year=

20 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Superbright Led should have some. Not sure of any part numbers but they offer a few different kinds

I found it :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Base_Type,1156,1,40:

• Like 3

R. L. Addison

Would the LED's have or create enough heat to damage the plastic lens?

squonk
3 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

No. I ran them for like 10 min. without the engine running. No heat at all. Engine running hood gets hot from the exhaust so it was hard to tell. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Anglo Traction

An Old Topic, but included some coverage of Lights/Buckets/Bulbs and enhancing light output that may be of interest to you (approx 2/3rds of the way down this page) -

• Like 2

cafoose
5 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

An Old Topic, but included some coverage of Lights/Buckets/Bulbs and enhancing light output that may be of interest to you (approx 2/3rds of the way down this page) -

:text-goodpost:I found it very interesting! :)

Headlight Unit and lense were in a real bad state, thought I may have to scrap the Buckets as the Bulb Holders were badly rusted. I managed to clean them up and had enough metal there to petrify them with Kurust.

Again , covered in several previous posts, the improvement of light reflection of these 'Buckets' has been achieved by using Self Adhesive Chromed Mylar and Polished Aviation Grade Aluminium (U.S readers please delete the last ' i ' to read Aluminum) Speed Tape.

As I'm using LED SMD Low Temp Bulbs, I've blocked off the upper and lower vents, giving more reflective surface, but still allowing some venting - here's an idea of the difference

post-3520-0-33004200-1333662822_thumb.jp

.........and the finished article- (note the addition of the red grommets ...can you guess where they are from?).

post-3520-0-30363000-1333663034_thumb.jp

post-3520-0-35325300-1333663333_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oldredrider

Your grommets look like RCA plug covers. Good job!

• Like 1

JimmyJam
On 9/14/2017 at 1:24 AM, R. L. Addison said:

LED's do not create heat as conventional bulbs do; due to the fact that LED's pulse rapidly at at a speed undetected by the human eye. This pulsing allows the bulb to burn brighter with virtually no heat. Heat was why conventional bulbs burnt out, which is why LED last a very long time. The bulb is #1156. Most auto parts stores sell these LED replacement bulbs. Costs more than conventional, but certainly brighter. Just my :twocents-02cents:.  :techie-eureka::techie-eureka:

• Like 1