I have a 1996 Wheel Horse 314-8 that has a Kohler motor on it. My issue is starting it. It does nothing for several tries at turning the key but finally starts. Seems to be getting worse. Makes no noise during tries to start; nothing till it finally kicks over. I've looked all over this thing to see if it is brake/safety switch related but find nothing. Help?

With any electrical problem the first step in curing it is to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds, this will clear up about ninety percent of them. 

• Like 2

Thanks again to this forum. I will follow the diagram and chase these down and clean them as a start. 

Another question; is the ignition somehow connected to the brake or clutch on this tractor that won't allow it to start unless brake or clutch is depressed?

There is a clutch interlock switch that requires you to push down on the clutch peddle to crank it over.

• Like 1

They went safety first on the newer tractors. My 2000 314-8 has a seat,clutch pto,and shift safety switch.

If any one of the safety switchs are not made it will not start. You can bypass the safety switchs one at a time to see if one is bad.

Possible problems  key switch ,pto switch,or starter.  I don't know if the 96 has a seat switch but there known to cause problems. 

I would also check all wire connections

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dlawrence529
      I have a 1999 314-8. It never starts on the 1st try whether it is hot or cold outside. It always starts immediately on the 2nd try. Is there anything I should be checking/fixing or is this just typical of a 18 year old tractor. The hour meter reads about 350 hours.

If the tractor is stopped and restarted during mowing/plowing, it will start on the first try.

This is my first tractor, so no response is too obvious...
    • By jjjharr
      Hey everybody, I just picked up a 314-8 with around 800 hours on it. When trying to put it into low range from high, the lever wont budge. It almost feels stuck, I cant figure it out... Thanks In Advance
    • By RusTia
      Hi all, I stumbled across this forum while trying to diagnose an issue with a 314-8 GT my dad handed down to me when he bought a new one this past spring. He purchased it in August, 1997 and it has been used for general yard work and lawn mowing. It has had a great life so far with no major issues until late last summer when all of a sudden it would not start.

The engine would turn, but not fire up. After some playing around with the carb, I determined that it was not getting fuel when trying to start. However, I would just manually add fuel to the bowl to start it, and it would start right up. Once it started, it got fuel no problem and would run great for hours while cutting grass. A week would go by and I would have to do the same manual adding of fuel to get it to start, but it would run fine again. This went on all summer as I had no time to really look at it. I just assumed it had something to do with the ignition system not activating the fuel pump, but once it turned over, the fuel pump worked as designed.

Then one day toward the end of the summer, I turned the key and nothing. No crank at all. The battery is still good and the lights on the panel would light up, but the engine would not turn or even make a sound.

In searching the forum, I think I have narrowed it down to ignition module, starter, or solenoid. However, I don't want to order parts that I may not need so I am hoping to get some experienced guidance. My thoughts are that the two issues described above are related. Perhaps the fuel issues in the middle of the summer were symptoms of a part going bad, but still able to limp along. The final issue of not starting was when the part finally gave out. Or, perhaps they are not related and I have multiple things to look into.

I would greatly appreciate any information and/or advice. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I thought it would go best in the engine since I am not entirely sure what the issue is.
    • By Fishkill-Will
      Hey all,

Brand new here. Bought a house and it came with a 1998 314-8 with about 1000hrs and a trailer. I replaced the drive belt but other than that I haven't done much but mow and haul debris to the woods. It definitely has some issues—parking brake broken, blade adjustment not really working, plus a few other things that I intend to try to fix or have fixed.

Trying to get ahead of winter and found a guy selling a snowblower attachment 79360 36" on Craigslist. $350 in "good" condition. I believe this will work on my model but looking for confirmation and any other advise. This one is in my vicinity and I'm not sure how often I will find one close enough to actually purchase so I think it may be wise to jump on it.

Thanks, all!