Smemsic

520 volt meter shows low

Smemsic

One of my 520's is not putting out enough voltage and usualy is only showing to the low side. Other day it started to spike up into the normal side.............very confused

WHX??

Assuming you have a multimeter check the voltage on the two outside terminals of the regulator. Should have 30-40 volts AC with the engine running at mid to wide open. If that checks out check the middle terminal of same reg. to ground, should have 13-14 volts DC with same rpm settings. Also check the ground/battery connections. Of course as always check the 9 pin and fuse block for those  known issues.  That spiking may be caused by intermittent bad connection at the  9 pin or fuse block. 

• Like 4

roadapples

Mine is doing the same thing. Wiggle the 15 amp fuse and it works...:bitch:

• Like 1

WHX??

416 did the same thing Jay... fuse block had just started to melt but got it in time. Managed to get the connectors out, cleaned up and moved to an unused slot. More than one pic has been shown with a blade of a fuse melted away!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I removed the charging circuit out of that fues block and put in a "real "  sealed HD   fuse holder. :banana-wrench: electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif.e7f1a29fb27e3f3cbaf9f00958d00ccd.gif

• Like 5

WHX??
36 minutes ago, squonk said:

removed the charging circuit out of that fues block

Not the worst idea to do that with the 9 pin too!

• Like 2

squonk
2 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Not the worst idea to do that with the 9 pin too!

Took the entire 9 pin out and moved most of the harness to the other side away from the muffler. I need to get a chunk of tin to make an extra heat sheild to keep the heat away from the harness where the original fuse block sat. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JPWH

Aluminum roof flashing makes a good heat shield. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

squonk
8 hours ago, JPWH said:

Aluminum roof flashing makes a good heat shield. :twocents-02cents:

I looked all over and can't find anything. May have to set a ladder against the neighbor's roof! :banana-wrench:

• Haha 2

953 nut

:angry-soapbox:     With any electrical problem the first step is to clean and tighten  ALL electrical connections including grounds, this will cure ninety percent of them. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Smemsic
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, Smemsic said:

One of my 520's is not putting out enough voltage and usualy is only showing to the low side. Other day it started to spike up into the normal side.............very confused

Thanks for all the tips