Cleaverkid

Middle spindle bad?????

Cleaverkid

Hi guys!

Love lurking on this site cause you all know so much about these cool red tractors.  I need a little help or advice.  

I have a 416-8 with a 42" SD deck (05-42sm2, I think.  No model/serial tags on the shell) I inherited from an uncle that's been sitting in my garage for the past year.   I pulled the deck off and cleaned it up, sharpened the blades, squirted grease in all three spindles, then remounted it.   I was checking the level and height of the blades with it resting on the garage floor but mounted to the tractor and noticed that the middle blade was hanging a good inch lower then the outer 2 blades.  I reached in and discovered that the shaft will slide real easily up and down this full inch...and I can see the pulley on the top moving, so I know it's the whole shaft moving.  

I had run out of time then to dismount it again to see further what was going on, but thought I'd see what you're collective opinion is to what's wrong.  Do I have a bearing problem?  Should I just plan to replace the spindle?  Or is there possibly a missing spacer or nut that might just be gone?  

By the way, I also noticed that there's two cracks (3 inches or so) on the deck shell above the rear mounting brackes for the hanger system.   What's the chances of being able to repair (weld) those?

I know he had only used this for several years to mow/bag leaves in the "back 40" woods behind his house, so I doubt he even noticed if something was broke.

And no, I didn't even think to take pictures while I was working on this, so sorry.  I know how you guys love pictures!

Thanks for your advice!

Joe

oldlineman

I would drop deck and check that nut is tight on middle spindle as far as the cracks in deck at that spot that is common. I have fixed some by welding and or plating with 1/8 in steel or alu. plate. Good luck, others will help with other ideas i am sure.

Cleaverkid

Thanks for the suggestions!  Dropping the deck is definitely next on the agenda, just need to find the time.  My fear, though, is that it's the whole shaft moving since I can also see the pulley on top moving in unison when I move the blade up and down.   The plating idea is a good one!  I may just try that since I don't have ready access to a welder. 

953 nut

I have had a deck spindle mounting flange crack and break free of the deck allowing the whole assembly to drop down a bit. removed the pulley, raised it into position and welded it up, good as new.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Did your uncle ever remove that spindle? There should be a sleeve between the bearings that holds the grease and directs it to the bearings. The top bearing sometimes goes bad because the grease doesn't get forced up there.. 

A tip for installing new bearings is to put the bearings in the freezer, and the spindle in the oven at about 150 degrees. Gas ovens with a pliot light are perfect. Then  install the new bearings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut
2 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

bearings in the freezer, and the spindle in the oven

Wouldn't that make the bearing smaller and the spindle larger? Seem like the other way around, you sure?

BOB ELLISON

Heat expands.  Cold shrinks. 

You want the bearing to shrink to fit in housing. @shallowwatersailor is correct. 

Dry ice works the best.

BOB ELLISON

When I changed the spindles on my 48" deck the shaft had to be held up for the pully to go on. I think there's a spacer then the pully  lock then nut. Your nut might be coming off.

Cleaverkid

Thanks guys!   Hopefully, this weekend I'll have time to pull this deck and have a closer look.  But from what I saw, it didn't look like the spindle was moving, just the shaft. So a missing spacer might be the most likely culprit.  So it sounds like rebuilding a spindle is maybe better, cheaper than just buying a whole new spindle?  This is when I really wish I had a bigger shop!!!   I really appreciate the comments/suggestions!

Cleaverkid

Well, I finally had time to pull the deck back off the 416-8 last weekend.  Thanks for all of your suggestions, but believe it or not, once I had it off, the issue became VERY apparent.  OLDLINEMAN hit the nail on the head with this one!  Somehow, the middle spindle jamnut on top was missing!  Don't ask me how that happened, but since my uncle was just using this for a leaf-collection device for a few years, I'm guessing he had no clue it was gone.    So a quick trip to the local hardware store and the deck is back in running condition. 

Unfortunately, when I sat down on the seat to start it, I discovered the battery was dead...so it's been sitting on a trickle charger for a couple of days.  Hopefully, Saturday will be good day to try her out!

Thanks again!

953 nut
On 9/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

Heat expands.  Cold shrinks. 

You want the bearing to shrink to fit in housing. @shallowwatersailor is correct.

:text-imsorry:      I was thinking bearing onto shaft, not bearing into casting.    My bad.    :hide:

• Like 1